Wednesday 25 August 2010

A Talk and Dad's Earrings

Our Talk (on Becoming a Freelance Writer) went very well, I'm glad to say. The first 15 minutes were a bit hairy but I got over my nerves and felt a lot better, then actually enjoyed the second half which was a great bonus, and the audience seemed to have a good time too.

I think what made it work was that Fi and I are both unconventional in different ways, and we both work in completely different ways.

She's been to university and trained as a teaching assistant, as well as performing in public a lot so she's not fazed by an audience, and this made me feel a lot better – I knew she would be able to wing it if anything went wrong.

Whereas I have never been to university and apart from a short TV piece several years ago, the last public performance was in Falmouth Theatre's production of Oliver 5 years ago – which I don't think really counts for much as I was in the chorus...

With regard to interviews, Fi says she doesn't plan anything, but lets the interviewee talk as they want, then types up notes in long hand. Whereas I prepare questions, take notes and tape the interview as well - but the end results are the same which is what matters.

I also made notes for the talk – being my first time I knew my brain was likely to seize up without loads of prompts – whereas Fi just ad libbed. But having said that, she had done a very exact running order, down to the last minute, which made all the difference. So a big thank you to Fi for making it all possible.

My mum came, as did Pip and our Penzance cousins (thanks to all of you) and the night before, when Mum and I were having a glass of wine on the sofa, she pointed to her earrings: tiny pearls I don't remember having seen before.

“These were the last earrings your Dad gave me,” she said (though he died 26 years ago). “I thought he should be with us tomorrow for your talk.”

Thanks, Dad.

14 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Congratulations on getting through your talk - you're very brave, I couldn't do that!

What a lovely thought of your Mum's - taking your Dad's spirit along. :)

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Ak though it wasn't being brave - I quite enjoyed it! And yes, good to have Dad there too.

Chris Stovell said...

I really feel your pain on this one. My goodness, you did well - that was a long talk! All set for the next one now?

I'm very glad your dad made it too!

Flowerpot said...

Well it was much easier doing it with someone else, Chris. And yes I am looking forward to the next one thanks!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

So pleased your talk went so well and that your dad was there too.x

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Debs!

ADDY said...

Glad you managed OK. As for your mum's comments............. awwwww! Bet that made you go soft inside.

Colette McCormick said...

I'm willing to bet that your dad is with you every day - and your mum.

Lane Mathias said...

So pleased it went well. And that your dad was there in spirit too. Lovely.

Flowerpot said...

Addy - yes had a few gulpy moments there!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Colette - as Dad died a long time ago I don';t think about him every day, but it's good to know he was there.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Lane!

Talli Roland said...

So glad your talk went well - I can only imagine how nervewracking it would be.

How sweet of your mum!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Talli - it was lovely of her wasnt it?