Wednesday 2 November 2011

Happy Birthday


This was taken yesterday at Godrevy where I had a lovely afternoon - went on to Hell's Mouth and then tea at Portreath (you know I have to eat about every 3 hours).

Today would have been Pip’s 71st birthday. And while the rest of this year will bring back memories of a very sad and difficult time last year, when I look back over this year I am amazed at how my life has changed.

Pip gave me confidence and love in abundance. He enabled me to become the person I am becoming. I don’t know who she is yet – the process is ongoing – but his absence has made me grow stronger. I am no longer protected by him and have to do things myself – like driving long distances – which I was frightened of.

I went to a fabulous singing weekend at Prussia Cove last weekend where I met new people, stayed in incredible gothic location and walked Molls along a new stretch of the cliffs. I learnt the joy of singing with strangers – outside. Of relaxing on the sofa on the Sunday afternoon while someone strummed the guitar and we all sang along.

I have learnt that I am a singer and that music is a huge source of strength. I am learning photography and how to compose pictures. I am becoming stronger, and able to help others with this strength. I have made several new friends who have helped me hugely. I am learning to live and to love life.

And lastly, I have been shortlisted for the 2011 Luke Bitmead Bursary Award from Legend Press for my novel FOUR LEFT FEET that I am currently editing. I have been invited to the awards ceremony in London on December 1st and hope to go to that, though unlike one good friend, who is convinced I will win, I am not holding out any great expectations. To have got this far is amazing and gives me the boost I need to get on with editing the novel.

So get on with it, Flowerpot……

18 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely Pip. I'm sure he's watching over you and rejoicing in the great strides you've made. Well done on those and congratulations on the nomination, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. xx

Unknown said...

You are an inspiration...fingers crossed for you.
lx

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Liz - I will need it!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks for that Ak. Very kind of you xx

ChrisB said...

You have done fantastically well - an inspiration to us all!! The very best of luck with your award - what an honour to be nominated -very well done...xx

Flowerpot said...

Chris B- thanks so much! It is indeed an honour to be nominated.

Talli Roland said...

Wow! You are definitely an inspiration, like Liz says. I'm always in awe of what you've been up to. I'm lucky if if I leave my flat. :) Congrats on your nomination, too.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Talli. I am just getting on with things that happen to come my way.

ADDY said...

Happy Birthday Pip. You are doing well meeting all those first aniversaries. I too have found that I am much stronger than I used to be it's a case of having no choice, but it does make you feel you have achieved something. Congrats on the award too!

Rena George said...

Just like to echo what everyone else says. You're an inspiration.
I've got everything crossed for that novel.

Trubes said...

Ahhhr, Happy Birthday to your darling Pip, I'm sure he's somewhere 'out there', watching over you and rejoicing in your current achievements,
I'm so glad you're enjoying singing so much, I used to feel so exhilarated when I'd had a good sing, whether it be choir practice or a full blown concert...Happy days!
Congratulations on the 'Short list' award...I truly hope you get it, you have achieved so much and in such a short time...Stay happy, dear Flowerpot,

Di..xx
P.S. I have written, on my Trubes site, about my meeting with Denise Nesbitt, which was marvellous, a wonderful lady and great fun, hope you pop by and have a chuckle with us! D.xx

Flowerpot said...

Trubes - thanks so much for that. Will pop over to your site and have a read now...

Flowerpot said...

Rena - that's very kind thank you so much. Am busily editing the novel now, getting butterflies already about the awards!

Flowerpot said...

Addy - you're right. When you don't have a choice, you do become stronger. Hugs to you x

mrsnesbitt said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely Pip - November 2nd is my mum's birthday too. I still miss her but celebrate the wonderfulness of her each birthday. Will always think of you and Pip now, nice to be linked with happy memories.
(((HUGS))) Denise xxx

Flowerpot said...

Hi Denise, good to meet you and glad to hear of another happy memory for 2nd November. xx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Congratulations for being short-listed and the best of luck at the awards ceremony.

You are doing so incredibly well and achieving so much. x

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Debs - that's very cheering!