Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Rosamunde Pilcher

A week or so ago I received an email from my Cornwall Today editor asking simply, “do you like Rosamunde Pilcher?”

I replied, “Yes! Whatever it is, throw it this way (she said rashly)”.

Then there was silence so I presumed nothing was going to happen, but then she rang and said she was sadly too busy to do the interview, would I like to? You bet - and anyway, when an editor asks you if you’d like to do any interview, let alone one of the most famous writers of women’s contemporary fiction, the answer is never a negative.

So Mr B drove me round Falmouth, on the hunt for The Shell Seekers, or any other book by her. Nothing in the library. Nothing in my friend Tash’s bookshop. As I had to do the interview early this week, there was no time to order anything online. Kirstie had a copy so I was going to drive to Truro to get it when I was stricken by a really horrible tummy bug so that laid me up for a few days. I had read all of Mrs Pilcher’s books before, but it would have been good to refresh my memory.

Anyway, by Monday morning, when I’d scheduled the interview, I was sick with nerves. I’m not usually that nervous, but then I don’t usually interview authors of such calibre. I had to force down a few mouthfuls of toast, and took Moll for a walk, trying to work off my extreme nerves.

I knew I’d be all right once we got going, and I was, but the Before is always nerve racking. But she was a delight. An incredibly sharp mind - she’ll be 90 in September - and with an incredibly clear memory. She’s also a wicked mimic and has an endearingly rich gurgle of a laugh.

We wrapped up the interview and I felt really blessed to have talked to her. Shame we couldn’t meet in person, but what a privilege that was.

Read all about it in September’s issue of Cornwall Today!


And on Sunday we are singing at Heligan Gardens, taking part in the Wildworks Production of 100: The Day Our World Changed. This will be a unique day of remembrance and commemoration to mark the outbreak of World War 1. The day will re-tell and re-live the lives of the brave men who went to war and the families they left behind. It’s a day for the community, about the community and involving as much of the community as possible.

So come along if you can - from 1030 at Mevagissey Harbour and ending at 7pm at Heligan Gardens.

14 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

I reread 'The Shell Seekers' last summer and loved it just as much as the first time - it's such a wise book and beautifully written. What a privilege to be able to interview Rosamunde Pilcher - a moment to treasure. Cx

Flowerpot said...

Chris - I've just ordered a copy so I can enjoy it all over again!

Trubes said...

You got to meet and interview Rosamunde Pilcher.... all I can say is Wow!
I loved The Shell Seekers and others I've read but can't remember the titles...
Wonderful writer.
I would love to read your interview, can I get it on-line ?
Happy sailing,
love Di xx

Flowerpot said...

Di - no I didn't meet her - it was over the phone but great anyway! Not sure if it will be online but check the CT website after 20th August! x

Dc said...

Your 'job' just gets more and more interesting!

Rena George said...

Rosamunde Pilcher is one of my favourite authors. I think
I have all her books (and a few of her son, Robin's)
You must have been made up to bag an interview like that. Can't wait to read it now. x

Flowerpot said...

DC - I am lucky in having such a rich and varied job!

Flowerpot said...

Rena - I'm still pinching myself! I haven't read Robin's books but will have a read. x

ADDY said...

I hadn't realised Rosamunde Pilcher was in her nineties. I can quite understand you being nervous about the interview. I often find the fear of the unknown is often worse than the actual experience. I can get worked up about things in advance and then find it was half as bad as I feared.

Flowerpot said...

Addy - I'mexactly the same! Conversely, if I don't get worried about things, sometimes they bite me in the back!

Colette McCormick said...

What a treat.

Flowerpot said...

Colette - it certainly was!

Melissa Marsh said...

Oh, wow! That is so neat that you got to her interview her!

Flowerpot said...

Melissa - yes I was so pleased!