Wednesday 22 October 2014

The importance of a bolt hole

Years ago, in my early twenties, I fell in love for the first time with a fellow who, according to my aunt, looked like Humphrey Bogart. He was incredibly attractive, somewhat insecure, and all my family and friends knew it wouldn’t last. When I found him in bed with one of his clients, I felt as if my world had fallen apart. Well, it had.

It took a long time to get over having my heart broken for the first time, but the best advice was given to me by my grandmother. She was in her 70s, having given birth to my mother in her mid 40s, but nothing phased her. She just gave me a huge hug and said, “Remember, darling, always have a bolt hole.”

I thought she meant a little hideaway - I expect she did - but I have also come to realise that a bolt hole could be inside my head. Writing is one of my bolt holes. Singing is another. Walking and sailing are two others.

A few weekends ago we stayed in a chalet at Gwithian Towans. It was a reasonable size, clean, had everything you’d need for a few days away, and was only 45 minutes from Falmouth - or would have been if we hadn’t had several stops on the way. And that magnificent lighthouse was smiling at us over the dunes.

So I have found another bolt hole, and hope to return there soon.

As stress levels have been mounting with my nearest and dearest, it looks like finding this bolt hole is perfect timing!

12 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Flowerpot, life can be so stressful, can't it? I hope all your bolt holes continue to relieve the difficulties of life.

I would also like to say that seeing pictures like this of the UK reminds me what a beautiful place it is. And because I'm leaving Bangkok in the new year, it's enormously reassuring to be reminded of its gorgeousness. Although I'm happy to come back to the UK, I'm not quite ready to leave Bangkok (?) but this gives me faith!

Flowerpot said...

Jenny - how lovely to hear from you! Yes it is a lovely place and while it must be hard to leave Bangkok, be assured that you will return to a wonderful place. x

Dc said...

What a great idea having bolt holes in your head!

Flowerpot said...

DC - well sometimes you can't actually have the physical ones!

Rena George said...

I love that idea of having bolt holes in your head - a very private place to go when you need your own space.

Chris Stovell said...

I've taken your bolt hole advice today and have been curled up with a book for most of it - have decided that sometimes it's good to take a complete rest. x

Flowerpot said...

Chris - absolutely! Book days are vital. Take care x

Flowerpot said...

Rena - I think it's vital! Hope you are enjoying your Cornish stay!

ADDY said...

Yayyy for boltholes, but do hope your problems resolve soon.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a bolt hole. I think I've exceeded the amount of bolt holes in my head recently, but since moving from the farm I feel like my new life is that bolt hole.

Love the pictures.
CJ x

Flowerpot said...

Addy - thanks - yours too!

Flowerpot said...

CJ - I know this is a difficult time for you - do hope life improves very soon x