Tuesday 3 March 2015

A Year on, and Me and Moll


I've just realised that it's a year (on Friday) since I had my hysterectomy. I'm very glad I didn't know recovery would be such a slow, ongoing process. There have been numerous pitfalls, I still have a socking great keloid scar like a rusty zip all the way down my stomach, and it still hurts at times. But overall I'm fit and back to normal. Ish. And for that I'm very grateful. The whole experience knocked my confidence, but I suppose in a way that's right: I was very vulnerable and I did have to be careful. I hope this year I can regain that confidence and start to really enjoy sailing again, after a nasty scare last year.

The curious thing is that all my life I've suffered from terrible chilblains on my feet. Every winter I have had to rub calendula ointment into my toes every morning (it's a great preventative and cure for chilblains if you didn't know). Since my hysterectomy I've had warm feet constantly, all through my recovery and this last winter. I wouldn't advocate a hysterectomy to prevent chilblains, but it's good to know that there's one advantage.

But on to the main purpose of this post. You know they say that owners and their dogs are often alike? Well, it struck me the other day that this isn't just a cliche in our case.

Moll and I both have soft, thick hair that grows quickly. (But she has dark roots and I don't.)

We both love the outdoors: adventuring, chasing sticks, long walks, swimming. Both tomboys at heart.

We are never happier than surrounded by a loved one (or as many as possible in Moll's case), while doing the above.

However, we are both very cuddly and also love snuggling on the sofa - in my case with a glass of wine watching a film. IN her case, she waits till I've got up,then quick as a flash takes my place, nudging Mr B insistently to give her a tummy rub.

Moll is a real individual, strong, fierce and fearless, impatient, extremely loving and with a great sense of humour. I share some of those characteristics (the good ones of course)....

Is it any wonder that she has such a fan club?



10 comments:

ADDY said...

It's never a year since your hysterectomy! My word, how the time flies. So sorry you have a keloid scar - mine was a horizontal bikini-line cut and is now no longer visible. Maybe you can get themt to do some plastic surgery to repair it?

Flowerpot said...

Addy - I know it;'s gone so quickly! The scar should go eventually but probably take another couple of years. Plastic surgery isn't very effective with keloid scars unfortunately.

Rena George said...

What a momentous, if understandably difficult year you've had, Sue. But you've come through it all and it sounds as if you're now looking forward to the next adventure. Well done Team Moll. xx

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Rena - though the op was only part of a very momentous year!! Looking forward to Poldark on sunday! XX

Chris Stovell said...

Well done you. Moll's not the only one with a fan club, you know ;). The way you've picked yourself up after setbacks that would fell other people is remarkable and truly inspirational. Good luck with the next adventures.

Chris Stovell said...

PS I'm also very much looking forwards to Poldark!!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - thank you so much! You've had more than your fair share of hiccups also, so hope things improve for you!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - think we will all be glued to our screens on Sunday night. Love to know what the viewing figures are!

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

The year has gone so fast, but you've come through it with flying colours. Well done.
Moll is gorgeous, she's a doggy pin up in our house.

Flowerpot said...

Kim - thanks so much! On both counts! X