Wednesday 2 August 2017

Who'd write walks eh?

This almost hidden public footpath sign was on our way to Penrose, a beautiful old farm in the parish of Sennen (not to be confused with the Penrose near Helston). We did this walk on Saturday as I am keen to finish the Du Maurier walks book and only have two more walks to do - this being one of them.

Although the forecast was for rain, we decided to be optimistic and I drove over to Heather's house, and she drove down to Treen from there. The first two hours of the walk were good - it is a very unspoilt, undiscovered part of Cornwall, and we walked along happily, not meeting a soul.

Then the rain started. We got lost. The rain got heavier, but we persevered, rain running down our faces, despite coats and hoods. "It's fine as long as you keep walking," we agreed.

Having been chased by a field of frisky heifers, then later an even friskier horse, the rain abated, then gathered full force, until we were walking, sodden, cold, human beings.

Four hours later we got back to the car, drove back to Heather's then I drove home from there, very glad to change, warm up and have something to eat. And despite the fact that I will have to go back and do it again as it was too wet to take pictures, and a few parts of the walk could be improved upon, it was brilliant. Even Heather wants to do it again.

The next day, the forecast was thunderstorms and rain, so I packed up my wet weather gear and off we went. By the time we got to Mullion the sun was out and I cursed myself for not bringing sunglasses. You can never tell in Cornwall!

6 comments:

Dc said...

Well done anyway. In the past 4years of walking, we have got lost 3 times. The longest of these treks turned into 8 miles, nearly dead on our feet at the end! 4 miles is what we walk, any more and it becomes uncomfortable.

Flowerpot said...

DC - getting lost is all part of a good walk, I think!

ADDY said...

Your part of the country always seems to get the worst of the weather first and it's not been great here either. Getting lost in the sunshine is one thing, but in the rain..... you deserve a medal.

Flowerpot said...

Well, we did enjoy it Addy! In a reverse sort of We Have Achieved something way!

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Rather you than me Sue. 4 miles is about my limit nowadays, but I hate walking in the rain.

Flowerpot said...

Kim - I'm not overly fond of it either but it was an amazing walk!