Thursday 6 May 2021

A break and an old marriage



Last week I was able to get away for four nights in a caravan in West Cornwall and my, what a brilliant time we had. The weather wasn’t perfect, as it’s still pretty cold but we had some glorious sun, managed to dodge most of the rain and had some of the best walks I’ve had for ages.

The friend I went with hadn’t read for 5 years and so I took a book she liked the sound of - and she read the whole thing in a few days. And loved it! So I was delighted to be able to share my love of that particular book with her - and now she’s reading again…for a book lover like me, that means so much.

It was so good to have a change of scene, even if only for four days, and it gave me a bit of headspace which I badly needed.

On a different topic, yesterday my youngest brother sent over a digitised version of our parents’ wedding. There’s no sound, but it doesn’t need it. The pictures of my parents, so young and happy, are so touching to see. The way my dad puts his arm protectively round his tiny bride (he was 6’ 4” and mum was 5’ so she really was tiny, and so beautiful. Very like the Queen at the same age). The way my mum dips her head when she talks - she still does that now and it’s so characteristic of her, and yet I’d never really been aware of it until now.

The way Dad laughs hugely with his best mate, Ian, his best man, on the lawn outside the marquee. The easy way Dad picked up her train when they were walking through the garden. The shared glances between my mum and dad that say more than words ever could.I'm so glad Ben found it and has been able to digitise and share it. It's a piece of real magic that I will treasure.

3 comments:

ADDY said...

How lovely to see that video of your parents like that. We often think of our parents as not being romantic beings - they're just our parents- but seeing footage like that brings a whole new side to things. Your caravan break sounds lovely. I'm just beginning to get out into the world again too. Hopefully, things are getting better.

Flowerpot said...

Glad you're beginning to venture out again Addy - it feels like things are getting better, doesn't it? Take care.

Devon said...

How wonderful that you have been able to preserve those memories of your parents wedding. I agree that sometimes getting away for a while can help simplify life in such a pleasant way. I've been away from blogging for 10 years and am thrilled to see you have kept it up!