Thursday 26 August 2021

Support Networks - for Writers

The phrase 'support networks' has become about as overused as the terrible 'unprecedented', which has long set my teeth on edge. But we all need a group, or groups, of people who will give us support, when we need it.

When I first became a journalist, my editor insisted I join Facebook and Twitter, and there I found some amazing online support groups, some of which I still use today. I know there are increasing numbers of malicious people on social media, but there are also like minded people, many of which can give valuable support and advice.

My writing support network tend to consist, in the real world, of a collection of individuals rather than groups - at least, there are Cornish groups but trying to find a convenient time and place for us all to meet seems to be incredibly difficult. But I am fortunate in having several very talented writer friends I can ring up and ask for help or advice. And of course it works both ways.

In my personal life, I am fortunate in having some fabulous friends who I know I can rely on - and I am there for them, too. And of course, I count books as my support group as well. For what can be better, when we're feeling tired and need a pick up? Or fed up and need to escape? In need of instruction, and finding wise words...

Who or what are your support networks? I real life, on paper, or on screen?

4 comments:

Dc said...

Unfortunately friends are few and far away also not all the kind you can pour your heart out to. My husband is my rock and our walking friend is good to chat to. Two family members can be chatted to but I am more careful with them.

ADDY said...

My daughter s my best support network, followed closely by one or two very good friends. Not to mention the blogging community!

Flowerpot said...

DC - I'm. not able to leave a comment on your blog, for some reason, but thanks for commenting here. I'm glad you have your husband and your walking friends to talk to - I agree, family members can be tricky.

Flowerpot said...

Addy - your daughter sounds amazing, and very glad you have close friends - and bloggers of course!