Friday 15 February 2008

Cornets and Frivolity

Today The Other cornet arrives.

Yes, he bought it at nine twenty on Wednesday evening. I returned from rehearsals for Pajama Game to find a flushed and highly emotive husband crouched over a hot laptop, a glass of wine by his side (by no means the first).

‘Look, Pop!’ he said, and proceeded to tell me, in great detail, the ins and outs of this particular purchase. I’m afraid my interest lagged a little, as he’d told me most of it several times that day.

But at least yesterday I managed to sell the cornet that wouldn’t sell on ebay. Oh, the power of forums. (What’s the plural of forum? Forae? It doesn’t sound quite right.) Anyway, I advertised this cornet that no one wanted and blow me down, a couple from Porthleven came at lunchtime and bought it for their grandson. As he’s five I felt this was a bit optimistic, but never mind. It needed to go.

So when this new one arrives Himself will have a mere three cornets rather than four, which is an improvement of a kind I suppose.

Unfortunately one of the lenses fell out of his only pair of distance glasses yesterday so most of the profits have been spent on buying two pairs of glasses. He rather foolishly let slip that the optician had told him he should be wearing glasses all the time, so I insisted that he had a spare pair. So two pairs (with OAP discount) was £50, we both put £20 in the Frivolity Box and – er – the rest will go on housekeeping.

No comment.

I should explain about the Frivolity Box. This is a heart shaped tin that once held something smelly I was given for Christmas. A few years ago, my dear Sister In Law came to stay, and left some money for us to go out to lunch after she’d gone. Rather than put it in the housekeeping, where it would be swallowed up on toilet paper and soap, we put it aside and saved it for when we felt like a treat.

So now we try and have something in the tin for if we want a takeaway or go out for a meal. The tin’s got down to about three quid which doesn’t allow a lot of frivolous behaviour, so now it’s bulging with nearly fifty quid which means we can do something for my birthday.

In the meantime, Himself said cheerfully, “Well, I can’t buy any more cornets, Pop. I’ve run out of money.”

Since when has that ever stopped him?

13 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

A frivolity fund sounds like a great idea! And at least there won't be any new cornets...for the time being!

RT

Mopsa said...

Fora is, I believe the plural of forum. I love the idea of a frivolity box. I shall have to find/make one.

Flowerpot said...

RT - Well I hope not - but you know him...

Mopsa - thank you for that. I never did get on with Latin!

Akelamalu said...

We have a frivolity fund too - it's a great idea.

MarmiteToasty said...

Love the idea of a frivolity fund.... that is what me lads call me bloody bank account LOL....

x

Little Wing said...

My frivolity fund is a small tea-pot that sits high on a shelf!!!!!

Irene said...

We have a frivolity doggy bank, but I doubt we can be very frivolous with it. Maybe some Chinese take away, or cigarette money when we run out.

You should make a sign that says, "All Cornets Are Banned" and hang it on the front door.

Elaine Denning said...

I love the idea of the box.

Actually, I reckon it's time I counted up all my pennies...I may be able to splash out and buy myself a hair dye :)

Lane Mathias said...

lol at the cornet going to a five year old. Didn't the last one go to Africa? I hope this new one is 'the one'

Ellee Seymour said...

I hope your little frivolity fills up soon and you can have a nice treat on it, but don't let Himself buy another new cornet with it.

Flowerpot said...

Ak - hah! Another frivolity holder!

marmite - one advantage in not having children... but of course I'd much rather have the kids.

little wing - yes ours is perched high on a shelf as well.

Flowerpot said...

Sweet Irene - yes that's what our frivolity fund is used for. Well, not the cigarettes any more. As for banning cornets - I dont think it would work!

MissU - it's like having a piggy bank. Very satisfying when there's actually something in it!

Flowerpot said...

lane - yes you.re right the last one did go to Africa. Good memory!

ellee - no way is he buying a cornet with the frivolity money. Absolutely NOT!!