Friday 8 February 2008

Songs on the Brain

This morning I woke up singing Leaving On a Jet Plane.

For those of you under a certain age you probably won’t remember this gem, which was written by John Denver in 1967 (a fact I had to look up on Wikipedia – you can see how bad my memory is).

Quite why this particular tune decided to drag me into consciousness at six am on this particular Friday I have no idea. I didn’t hear it on the radio or television yesterday, and I hadn’t been talking about John Denver (in fact I could have sworn it was by someone else) but we are going to see my mother this weekend. This involves a car journey though, not a plane, and we most definitely are coming back on Sunday.

But a dear mate of mine is flying off to Egypt on Sunday for a much deserved week off. So Carole, I will think of you sunning yourselves on that beach, raising a weary arm to get yet another cocktail, while some of us slave over a hot computer, or walk the dog in the dank greyness of a February afternoon.

(Actually, I’m quite content and having to sit still for more than five minutes would cause me serious grief, as she well knows. But I wouldn’t mind a bit of hot weather and swimming.)

So Leaving on a Jet Plane is for you, Carole, and have a good one.

The day before I had songs from Pajama Game on my brain. I couldn’t make it to rehearsals, but the songs just popped up, to remind me, anyhow.

What was the last song you had on your brain?

18 comments:

laurie said...

gosh, i seldom wake up with music in my head!

when i think of "leaving on a jet plane," i think of peter paul and mary, who also recorded it.

Flowerpot said...

laurie - I'm not going mad then I thought it was somene other than John Denver!

BreadBox said...

We used to sing that for my Mum's cousin, who used to work in Saudi Arabia years ago when I was a kid --- right around when it came out.
The reason you thought it was someone other than John Denver is that it was other people who sang it. As Laurie says, Peter Paul and Mary made it famous.

I have tons of Stan Rogers songs running through my head right now: probably Canada's greatest ever singer/songwriter (including Gordon Lightfoot!), I'm particularly stuck on "Field Behind the Plow" and "Forty Five Years From Now".

Mind you, as LOML asked the other day when I was belting out his songs, singing along to one of his CD's: "Didn't he ever write any happy music?"

Oh, and give me Noel Coward any day, too.
N.

Lazy Perfectionista said...

I had a little tune in my brain the other day and was humming as I made a cup of coffee in the kitchen at work, without realising my line manager was standing behind me. I worked out that he was there at the same moment that it dawned on me that I was humming 'Jingle Bells'. In February. Cringe...

the rotten correspondent said...

I get them all the time. I'll get something stuck in my head and cannot get it out.

I'm not sure if I ever knew that John Denver wrote that song. I always think PP&M too.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I've had Ashes to Ashes rolling around my brain all day, thanks to watching the programme of the same name last night and brilliant it was too.

the rotten correspondent said...

award at my place...

Irene said...

"I am woman, hear me roar!"

Elaine Denning said...

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

Don't ask!

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Gawd, Flowerpot, the last thing I got stuck in my head was most likely deeply embarrassing. I will almost certainly have insisted on singing it loudly, over and over.
JJx

laurie said...

award for you at my place!!

Flowerpot said...

Breadbox - lovely selection - and eys I love Noel Coward too!

Lazy P - lovely to meet you and I love that tale. I#'ve done that sort of thing more than once - the good thing about being self employed now!

RC - it can be so irritating can't it?!

Flowerpot said...

Debs - I heard that the other day too but I didnt see the programme.

RC - many thanks!

Sweet irene - I love it!

Flowerpot said...

MissU - ah yes. Mhy lips are sealed!!

jj - I know, it's difficlit not to sing it isnt it?!

laurie - wow, thanks!

Miss Construed... said...

The Special Two

Missy Higgins

Katherine and Pippa said...

Tu canción de amor (Amparanoia) and before that Timor (Shakira), which is really irritating because then I have to listen to them on the computer to get them out of my head. And then get a different one stuck in there, along with all the other rubbish......

Kate.Kingsley said...

Funny how songs get lodged in your brain, out of the blue, isn't it? I had "Roll away the stone" by Mott the Hoople stuck in my head all day sunday ~ no idea why!

Flowerpot said...

Buffoon - you've got me there!

K & P - I sympathise. I do that all the time!

Kate - now that's one I haven't heard for ages! I like it though.