Saturday 13 March 2010

Safe Harbours and Holidays


Fowey has long been a kind of panacea for me. I lived there twenty years ago having been made redundant in London and unable to get any work there. Unfortunately there was hardly any work in Cornwall either so I had to eventually go elsewhere for work, but the place has always kept a stronghold on my heart. And my local pub, which we stayed almost next door to last week, was aptly named the Safe Harbour.

I wasn't sure about a week there – Himself might get bored as he wasn't well enough to do much – but I can't believe how lucky we were. The weather was fabulous, my friends Deb and Richard stayed for 2 nights and we had great walks, meals and drinks. Then my mum came to stay for another couple of nights, and the last 2 days we spent with our friends from Devon who were staying in the pub at Bodinnick. They're great walkers, so we did two 8 mile walks on Wednesday and Thursday in perfect sunshine. My idea of bliss.

We also, with their help, got the inflatable boat out on Thursday morning. This is named EGO (as in inflated ego) – you can blame our Penzance cousins for that. The wind went down enough for us to enjoy an hour on the river up to Mixtow then round to Penpol, and Himself so enjoyed that, it was wonderful to see his happy smiling face.

There were several down days while we were away (health issues) but the week away really made me realise several things - how important my friends are (thanks to those of you who emailed saying Welcome Back!).

This week also made me even more aware how important good health is.

It was the first time for ages I'd really pushed myself beyond my comfort zone physically – and I loved it! Those walks with John and Annie will stay with me for a long time.

And lastly, I know that Fowey will always be somewhere I can go in times of need – to have wonderful times with friends, and also to restore myself. My own Safe Harbour.

17 comments:

Colette McCormick said...

We should all have a "safe harbour" and you are completely right about your health. There is nothing more important than it and you can't put a price on it.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Health is so important and definately something we should all maintain as much as possible. Mind you, I can't say I'd ever take such long walks as you do, even though they do sound wonderful.

Jenny Beattie said...

I love the name of the boat - it made me laugh. I'm glad you had a good time - it's always wonderful to rediscover good friends.

Flowerpot said...

Colette - you're so right. Priceless it is - and we tend to take it for granted until we don't have it.

Flowerpot said...

Debs - I don't usually take such long walks but now I have I shall do it again. Mind you teh weather helped and the company certainly did!

Flowerpot said...

JJ - it's agreat boat name isn't it?!

Akelamalu said...

I agree with you - good health is most important and a blessing if you have it.

Glad you had a good time. :)

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I have a few places that are spiritual in their meaning to me. Just bolt holes to re-energise the soul and my belief that things will come right. Life can be severely compromised without good health. I wish you both good health and more happy times.

Flowerpot said...

Ak - thanks. As you can see from the picture, the weather couldn't have been better!

MarmiteToasty said...

I went to Fowey years ago....... I loved it and could quite live there :)..... I dont need excitement to make me happy..

x

Flowerpot said...

marmie - I'd live back there again like a shot. Good to see you back again. How are you ? xx

白色情人節 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris Stovell said...

Good to have recharged your batteries, Fp, but I'm sorry that there have been a couple of health alerts too. Sounds as if you could do with some more sunshine to pick you up, in the meantime hope you and yours are feeling better.

EGO (shaking head) I know it makes them happy, but....!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - well I know that you know what it's like!! The boating I mean. Tahnks for your kind thoughts.

Flowerpot said...

MOB - sorry out of synch here. These spiritual places are so important, aren't they? Keeps us going.

Philipa said...

It looks lovely. So glad you had such a lvely time, FP.

Flowerpot said...

Phil - it really was wonderful. Is wonderful indeed! Thanks Phil.x