Wednesday 17 November 2010

Update


This picture has absolutely nothing to do with the post, but was taken after a walk in Penwith - I was convinced the cow was going to land up on top of the car!

Many thanks for all your kind thoughts and wishes which mean a great deal.
Himself is making progress but it's going to be a long old slog – they reckon he will be in hospital for probably another 4 weeks (though he insists it won't be that long).

It is heartening to see him improve, and fingers crossed that will continue apace. The care that he is receiving is wonderful: the nurses couldn't do more and the consultants have also been terrific. Hearing that 25,000 frontline jobs are to go in the government cuts makes my blood boil – those poor nurses are rushed off their feet as it is. And how can those jobs possibly go without affecting patient care? Stick a politician in A&E or the Medical Admissions Ward for a day or two and they'd soon revise that bright idea....

At first, living by myself, after 14 years, was one hell of a shock. I'm not used to cooking for starters as Himself took over that chore years ago. Luckily, seeing my increasingly baggy trousers, friends dropped round food parcels which kept me going until I remembered how to actually make a meal again. Oh, and eat it. My dear brother in law has checked the van over for me and brought me a huge bag of kindling as well as generally being there for me over practical matters which makes a huge difference. I seem to spend my whole time thanking people...

But I am adjusting to being sort-of-single – Mollie and work both enforces a morning routine and the afternoons are taken up with visiting Pip most days and walking Mollie. I see friends for dog walks or in the evenings if I have the time and energy but have found to my surprise that most evenings I am content curling up in front of the fire with Molls, a glass of wine and a good book or the telly. Who wants to go out in this weather?

BUT something terrible happened recently. Downton Abbey is no more. What on earth are we going to do on Sundays now?

21 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

I'm so glad he's being taken good care of - and that your friends are looking after you. Love to you both.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks so much JJ.

Lane Mathias said...

I know it's not easy fp but I'm glad to hear you're coping and are well supported.

Hope Himself keeps making a good and speedy recovery.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Lane - we're getting there!

Chris Stovell said...

So good to hear from you - I wondered how it was going. Good news that Himself is slowly getting better and, yes, do take that help, Sue - it'll free you up to do the stuff that'll keep you going during this tough time (speaking as One Who Knows!). Take care. Cx

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Chris - I know you've Been Through it recently as well. Take care xx

Akelamalu said...

I am so pleased to hear that Himself is improving, albeit slowly.

It's good to hear you are getting help too from friends and family.

I'm sending Reiki to both of you. x

Flowerpot said...

Many thanks Ak - much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

That's such a relief about Himself. He sounds like he's in good hands; it is an absolute scandal that all those jobs are threatened and patient care will definitely suffer. I wonder if private health care will become more popular, for those who can afford it. It's a disgrace.

Hope you're not affected by the floods where you are.

CJ xx

Grump said...

I hope Himself makes it home soon. I have been visiting hospital as a visitor and was surprised at the number of machines that are standard in the wards. I'm sure it was testing the gases that were being released incredible. Now what is this Downton Abbey. We haven't seen it out here. Worth looking for on DVD do you reckon?
Big Woof to Molls x

Flowerpot said...

CJ - I shudder to think what his care would cost if we had to pay for it. And no, the floods are further up Cornwall but I do so feel for those poor people. What a nightmare.

Flowerpot said...

Grump - havent seen many machines where Himself is but I suppose it depends what ward they're on. Downton Abbey is a fabulous period drama - a bit like Upstairs Downstairs (that takes us back!) that has proved a huge hit and is highly addictive. Great script, good plot, fabulous acting - Maggie Smith excelled herself - and the costumes were wonderful too. What's not to like?!

Colette McCormick said...

Glad to hear that Himself is picking up. Long may it continue.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

So glad to hear Himself is much better and that you are bearing up. Nights in with Molls, the fire and a glass of wine sound like a good idea to me.

Ellee Seymour said...

Yes, that's good progress indeed. I'm afraid I missed out on Downtown Abbey, but might buy the dvd set as I love historical dramas.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Colette - thats what I say too!

Flowerpot said...

Debs - there;'s somethign about a real fire - well, a woodburner - that is just wonderful. And Molls and the wine of course!

Flowerpot said...

Ellee - oh do get the boxed set. You won't be disappointed.

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Sending heaps of get well wishes to Himself and make sure you take good care Flowerpot♥ Linda xx

Flowerpot said...

Thanks so much Linda!

MarmiteToasty said...

oh my if I lived nearer I would bring you round homemade dinners, or better still, have you round to share dinner in my house..... glad to hear 'himself' is being well looked after....

x