Wednesday 24 November 2010

Best Made Plans

Or is that best laid plans?

It's not often that I plan ahead, but there have been two events in November that I have been looking forward to for months.

The first was Matthew Bourne's new version of Cinderella. I am a huge fan of his and seen almost all his ballets as a) my mum is also a fan and treats me for birthday/Christmas and b) he premieres his shows in Plymouth which means I can get up there by train for the day.

The second event was seeing my oldest friend, Lin, who is over from Australia (where she has been living for some 30 years). I'd got the whole weekend organised – Friday interview in Callington on the way up, stay with my mum, ballet on Saturday, see friends on Sunday and Lin on Monday. And then Pip got poorly and that scuppered that.

Never mind, we'll go for Plan B, I thought, being a great believer in Plan B. So I did the interview by phone. Sadly I couldn't find anyone to look after Mollie for the day so I could go to the ballet, but in fact I got the most horrendous fluey cold and felt so ill that frankly getting out of bed was a major achievement, so I'm now hoping to see the ballet next year in Bristol.

As for Lin – she was hoping to drive down for lunch this week. But they've been roaring round and just got back from London, she needs to spend time with her family and she goes back on Friday so sadly it isn't going to be possible. And for once in my life I can't see a Plan B, let alone C. And it will be another couple of years before I see her again.

But the best news is that she is engaged. I haven't (obviously) met him but if he makes her happy – which he does, very much – and they love each other – which they evidently do – then that's good enough for me. And even if I can't be there for the wedding I shall be there in spirit. So here's to them – three cheers and may they have a long and happy marriage!

18 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Gosh, you have had a time of it. What a pity about your plans. I hope both you and Himself are fighting fit again soon and congratulations to the happy couple (no, not THAT happy couple)- your friend and her man!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - well it is a pity but some things are just not meant to happen so there's no point in wailing about it. I'm much better thanks and so very happy for Lin.

Morton S Gray said...

Hi,
Sometimes you have to just give in and accept that the plans weren't meant to happen. Hope things will improve for you soon. Mx

Flowerpot said...

I so agree, Morton. Thanks for your thoughts.

Akelamalu said...

I know all about this having very recently had to cancel a holiday at the last minute because of MWM's health.

Best just to be pragmatic and accept what happens happens eh?

Shame though as you were so looking forward to it.

Hope you're feeling better and Pip is doing well. x

Flowerpot said...

Ak - so sorry you had to cancel your holiday but you're right. Pragmatism is the word of the day or rather moment!

ADDY said...

As someone once said to me.. life has a habit of getting in the way of what you plan! Things always seem to go wrong at the worst time. Hope you are getting over your fluey cold.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Addy - cold finally on its way out thank god!

Talli Roland said...

Oh, that's a shame about your plans.

I do love Matthew Bourne too. I saw his Swan Lake awhile back, and it was spectacular.

Congrats to your friend!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a shame your plans haven't transpired as you hoped they would. Although it is good to hear that your friend is so happy and engaged.

Hope Himself is getting better all the time and that you and Molly have a lovely, warm weekend.

Anonymous said...

You're right, it's always the best laid plans....

I like being spontaneous!

CJ xx

Flowerpot said...

Talli - I think Matthew Bourne is just a genius. Can't wait to see Cinderella somewhere!

Flowerpot said...

Debs - yes thanks all warm here though very cold outside. Thank god for the woodburner! Hope you're warm and cosy too.

Flowerpot said...

CJ - I like spontaneity too!

Lane Mathias said...

That's a shame - especially when you had been looking forward to bth things.

Hope Himself is feeling better and hope you and Molls are surviving the weather down there.

Flowerpot said...

Himself is improving but very slowly. Weather is incredibly bad though so don't know if I'll be able to see him this week - he worried about me driving in bad weather (as do I!) s let's hope the weather improves soon.

MarmiteToasty said...

I try not to make plans anymore not even A plans let alone B and C ones, cos they usually all go tits up anyways lol...

oh I love to here about happy couples, wishing them all the best..

x

Flowerpot said...

Marmie - I agree on all fronts!