Wednesday 1 January 2014

Phew!


I don’t know what I would have done without my darling Moll recently. She is my constant companion in times rough and smooth and means more to me than I can say, for she is just always there for me. And for that I thank her from the bottom of my heart. For those of you who don’t have dogs, the relationship is incredibly special. For those that do, or who know Moll, you will know what I mean.

For the last two weeks, I’ve felt like a lone cyclist on an ancient pushbike, heading down a very rocky road. It was, of course, a very bumpy ride, not helped by the fact that the person I wished to be with was several hundred miles away (also having a really difficult time).

(Just in case anyone got the wrong end of the stick from last week's post, I have not been anorexic for many many years, thank god, though I do tend to lose weight easily if I'm upset. Like at Christmas.)

It wasn't all dire – on Boxing Day morning it finally stopped raining for five minutes, so Moll and I had a long walk ending up on Prince of Wales pier to watch the lucky fellows out on their boats for the Boxing Day race. (Next year that will be me, I hoped.) There were a few moments on New Year’s Eve when I felt surrounded by the love of a big family, even if it wasn’t mine. Now some narcissi are showing their cheerful little faces on the table in my window, and outside I see lots of daffodils pushing buds up already.

Now all the Christmas bit is over (hooray!), my spirits have lifted. It’s another year, and time to plan ahead. A well deserved weekend away in January - not to the Towans, but somewhere by the sea, perhaps? Line up some interviews. Take a friend to Beerwolf for a drink. Go to the pictures. Get out walking with some friends again rather than the solitary walks over Christmas. Get out on Echo soon....

As two of my closest mates are having rough times, I wish for better times ahead for them, too. It was a great relief to hear from Mr B last night and from Viv this morning. She is due down here soon and let’s hope Mr B can follow before too long.

So to all of my dearest friends, near and far, Moll and I send you much love and a warm hug. Let’s hope 2014 supplies us with love, happiness, good health, good ground for walking and good winds for sailing. And a good strong table or two….

18 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

We've had pretty eventful end to the year too, Sue. I hope that 2014 is very much kinder to us all.

Happy New Year to you - may it bring you all the good things you deserve.

Dc said...

And the same to you. Sorry to hear that you are having a bit of a down.

Flowerpot said...

DC - I'm OK again now thanks but it was a bit of a rough spot. I'm the only person who ever loses weight at Christmas!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - oh no, sorry ot hear you've had a bad time as well. Here's to a much better 2014. x

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I totally understand about the comfort and companionship Moll provided--I'm glad he was there, and I'm glad you're feeling better!

ADDY said...

A happy new year to you x

Frugal in Bucks said...

She has the loveliest little face. Be strong. X

Morton S Gray said...

Happy New Year to you! Christmas is a strange time of expectations . We are expected to feel good, but the time often heightens emotions and gives us time to remember losses. I much prefer being in a routine. Hope 2014 is kind to you. Mx

Flowerpot said...

Morton - I agree, the whole Christmas period is very dodgy emotionally. I must plan better next year! Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Flowerpot said...

Frugal - isn't she lovely? Happy grin!!

Flowerpot said...

Addy - and the same to you x

Flowerpot said...

Kim - yes, I know you understand!

Rena George said...

A very moving post, Sue. Christmas and the New Year always tug at the emotions. We lost a much loved aunt this Christmas, so it has been a very difficult time for my family. Today, however, the sun was shining and the sky was blue, and it felt as though the first breath of spring was in the air. The wheel never stops turning, does it? I wish you and yours peace and happiness in this new year, Sue. You so deserve it. Rx

Flowerpot said...

Rena - I am so sorry for your loss. You're right, everything's more heightened at Christmas isn't it? But yes, there's some blue sky here and thankfully the wheel does keep turning! Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, Rena. I hope so too! Sx

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Moll is a lovely special girl, every time I see her picture, it makes me smile.
I hope 2014 will be kind to you & remember to be kind to yourself as well.

Flowerpot said...

Kim - she is lovely isn't she? thanks for your thoughts and yes I am being kind to myself!

Akelamalu said...

Aw sorry to hear you've been feeling down but I hope this new year will find you happy and healthy. x

Flowerpot said...

Ak - thank you - I hope so too! And the same to you x