Tuesday 7 January 2014

Storms and inspiration

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but given the weather recently, I felt we needed a reminder of what Mr B calls "the heady days of summer." Yes they did exist and this was me one summer's evening helming Echo up Mylor Creek.

Last night I was woken by the sound of thousands of nails hitting my bedroom window. Moll started shivering and pressed closer to me. I lay there wondering if someone was trying to break the window, then realised it was hail.

Minutes later, the room was lit up by a huge flash, and Moll dived under the bed. Seconds after that, there was a slow rumble, then it sounded as if the sky was being ripped apart. The rumbling continued, as did the light show, for what seemed like half an hour but was probably ten minutes – I can’t remember any storm being so dramatic.

Eventually everything settled down, Moll clambered back on the bed and we went back to sleep. And it struck me that this storm encapsulated those really traumatic periods that we all go through, that seem to last forever when you’re in the middle of them, but looking back are just a bad patch. They do pass.

I’m fortunate in living at the top of a hill so we haven’t been flooded, like so many around the country. Mind you, I've just realised that my landline doesn't work as a result of the storm - have you tried getting hold of BT to register the fault? And I've gone deaf so my ears need syringing. Sorry - WHAT?

This afternoon I’m off to bail out poor Echo for the umpteenth time and see what damage has been inflicted on her. Last time it took 50 buckets of water to bail her out.

But on Sunday I had a long walk with a friend. We got so wet on the way back that we just had to keep moving, but after a while it was amazing. We splashed through puddles, jumped over lakes and were so wet we almost became part of the rain. I haven’t felt so alive for a long time, it was incredibly exhilarating.

I asked Fiona if she had any plans for 2014 and she said, “Not really. I just want to make sure I make the most of each day.”

Amen to that.

13 comments:

Sally said...

Yes, indeed. Amen to that. The thunder was really scary! I'm with Moll on that one but it did pass. I like your philosophy here. Lots of love and a Happy New Year to you, Sally xx

Flowerpot said...

It was scary wasn't it? And a Happy New Year to you xx

Dc said...

I loathe getting wet going somewhere but if coming back, once wet, I find it very funny!

Flowerpot said...

DC - I quite agree - as long as you dont have to sit in wet clothes for too long afterwards!

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Max hides under the bed if it Thunders and hates Fireworks too, which we still had a lot of New Years Eve, even though the weather was rotten. He gets so distressed. I told him that Moll was frightened too.

Flowerpot said...

Kim - I think most dogs are frightened of thunder and fireworks, aren't they? Poor Max! x

Rena George said...

What a storm, Sue. It sounded ver dramatic. Rx

Flowerpot said...

Rena - I can't remember another storm like it, Rena. It's knocked out my phone line and lots of other people's too! x

Flowerpot said...

Rena - I can't remember another storm like it, Rena. It's knocked out my phone line and lots of other people's too! x

Chris Stovell said...

We had such a beautiful day yesterday that it's actually made me feel a bit worse about the grey, cold miserable day we've got today! Still, it was lovely to feel some sun on my face and have a promise of Spring!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - I feel just the same - it was just fabulous yesterday - the light and the shadows were amazing. And here we have lots of bulbs coming up which is very encouraging!

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at your BT comment - yes, I've tried asking for help many times due to weather problems here but they were never interested, so I went to a different provider!

I think we need those storms to help us appreciate the great climate we have in this country. We also live on top of a hill so won't be flooded; it must be awful for all those that are though.

CJ x

Flowerpot said...

CJ - a\ctually I'v egot my phone with the post office but they haven't got back to me yet so I have intermittent phone line. Just as well I've got a mobile!