Wednesday 19 April 2017

Good times and bad times

Well this Easter has just been fabulous. I had long walks every day, the first being over at Helford where Carol and I went to see some friends of mine there for a trigging party at Gillan Creek. Trigging is an old Cornish practice of collecting cockles on Easter Friday, and the creek was full of people raking the river bed at low tide, others lighting fires and everyone having a brilliant family time.

On Saturday a group of us went up to Luxulyan, organised by Rich, who is very into his geocaching. It was a great walk, despite the cold wind, and we got all the caches apart from one - though as Rich said, it’s a good excuse to go back. After a pint in the King’s Arms afterwards, I was good for nothing except food and a quiet evening in, but Deb and Rich are made of sterner stuff (despite being older) and went on to carouse at the folk and cyder festival…

Easter Sunday saw me tackling a car boot and then heading down to Penwith Moors where we found a walk which turned out to be near Castle an Dinas, which is where I need to do a walk for the book, so that was a fantastic coincidence. Once again, by the time I got home I was so tired I had to go to bed for an hour, but the walking was superb.

Easter Monday brought another car boot then going over to see some friends who are having a really difficult time. Life can often take us by surprise (always) but this one is a particularly heart wrenching and they need all the support they can get.

And yesterday I went over to Carbis Bay to give a talk at the hotel there - what a lovely audience they were, and bought lots of books too! I then went to help another friend going through a horrible time, and went for a long walk afterwards, thinking, I’m really glad the weather’s so good. It helps lift all the horrible stuff.

So here’s to spring, and good mates.

6 comments:

ADDY said...

I miss my walking. My (dog-) walking friend has broken her hip and arm, so has been out of action for about 6 months now and lost her confidence. It's not the same walking on my own, so I have become sluggish. I must try to get out more on foot in the summer.

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Mol is so photogenic, isn't she? Walking is good thinking time isn't it?
We've had a difficult time with Hubby's health this week. He's had Flu, the real Flu, not man flu, and its lead to complications. Walking Max and Lizzy has helped keep me grounded and focused, instead of bottling it all up inside. It's hard to stay miserable for long with 2 pairs of brown eyes staring at you.

Take care

Flowerpot said...

Sorry to hear about your husband's health - flu has been really horrible this year, but glad the dogs are keeping you sane! Take care X

Flowerpot said...

Addy - yes dogs are a great incentive aren't they. Ever thought of getting another one? X

Chris Stovell said...

Sorry to have taken so long to catch up - I'm so pleased to read about your new walks book, what a great idea. Like you we've been getting a range of news; new babies at one end, friends and family with troubling issues at the other. Like you, we've been exploring new walking routes trying to process all the news! All best to you, Cx

Flowerpot said...

Chris - so glad to hear your good news but not so much your troubling stuff - will go over and catch up now. Take care, S X