Wednesday 5 August 2020

My Mum and The Lab

This might not appear to have much to do with this post, but I saw my mum last weekend for the first time since December. I was due to go up in March but Mum said no, don't, as it was just before lockdown and she thought it would be too dangerous. So that was an emotional visit as you can imagine.

We went to Dartington Gardens on Saturday morning and saw this wonderful Henry Moore sculpture which I really love for its solidity, and its wonderful rounded shapes - you almost want to stroke it. The gardens are also stunning and almost better for being a bit wilder.

And it made me think that sculptures require a lot of technical as well as artistic expertise, which is exactly what, I have discovered, dental technicians need.

Yesterday the Tooth Fairy and I went to visit my neighbour James at The Lab Dental Design Studio in Penryn where his partner took some pictures of my teeth and he explained the whole process of how implants, dentures and crowns etc are made. It is incredibly complex and requires a hell of a lot of expensive, highly advanced equipment, as well as a lot of dexterity and experience.

We were both incredibly impressed, then he took us upstairs to meet the others working there, including his wife who designed my teeth on this amazing 3D programme. I had never really considered what goes into making teeth but having seen it, it is completely understandable why it's so expensive.

To be honest, a lot of the technical stuff went over my head, but the Tooth Fairy has done a lot of casting and moulding so he understood a lot more. But we thought, well, what a talented lot of people we have as neighbours! It's like keeping it all in the family. So I'm going back to see James on Monday just to check that I'm happy with my teeth, then they will be fitted next Wednesday.

All my friends that have seen them have said what an incredible difference they've made, and I must say I feel so much better. They felt comfortable straight away and I've been walking, swimming ("don't get them wet!" cried the Tooth Fairy) and generally doing everything as normal. Though I haven't bitten into an apple with them yet.

Just think - this time next week I will have my proper new gnashers.

And here's another one of some amazing tree trunks at Dartington...

2 comments:

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Awww Sue how very exciting, I'm so thrilled for you:) I love the tooth fairy♥♥ Wonderful that you were able to see your Mum again after such a long time xx

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Manchester Lass! Yes I am very lucky having a Tooth Fairy and see Mum again. Hope all is OK with you XX