Tuesday 19 January 2021

Brave New Year



For some reason my computer has decided not to unload pictures from the last month so apologies if you've seen that one already.

Well, 2021. Not the start to the year we all hoped for, is it? But here we all are, in lockdown and hoping for a better life ahead with vaccines being rolled out. My mum has had both hers, but of course I'm not able to see her for a while, so in the meantime I keep ringing her and sending her books.

I've been paralysed with fear over the rising cases. By the time we went into lockdown I was a jibbering wreck and the first week was just horrible. I couldn't watch the news nor could I listen to it on the radio or I would get terrible anxiety. I know there's the argument that we all have a responsibility to know what's going on, but I think we do, don't we? (And if not, how the hell have you avoided it?) So I would just say, if you can't deal with it, don't. It won't make any difference to ignore the news for a week, or two, as long as you behave sensibly and stay home when you should.

As we settle into week two, I thank god that cases are coming down here. And for the last two weeks, Lainy and I had a bit of online training which was a terrific distraction. It was her Christmas present as she just loves learning, so we had a Zoom session every Friday and throughout the week we had different exercises to do every day. And we had a Whatsapp group where we could exchange when things went horribly wrong (which of course they did) and where they went right - which they did as well.

As I said, it was a great way to break up the day. I'm used to working from home but I get a very stiff back if I don't get up and move around every 20 minutes or so, and this was good for us both. Plus we were both learning and keeping in touch with other dog owners. So I would thoroughly recommend it.

On the book front, I got two rejections from two agents last week, but sent the last novel straight out again. Then I got on with writing the current one which I'm really enjoying. I count myself exceptionally fortunate to a) have Lainy and b) to be able to write. It's kept me going.
One of the best pieces I've read recently was by Bel Mooney, who talks a lot of sense. She encouraged us all to cut down on our screen time, ditto social media and, as well as keeping safe, to KEEP STRONG.

So to everyone out there, keep writing if that is your wish. Keep walking and KEEP STRONG. We will get there...

8 comments:

ADDY said...

What a gorgeous picture of Lainy. I agree the news makes me quite anxious too. I sometimes feel as if I am in the middle of a nightmare.

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

Writing is so therapeutic and I am a big fan of the process rather than the product.
Good Luck with the novel, keep writing and keep cuddling that precious dog. X

Lulu said...

Hello Sue, I don’t blame you for taking a break from the news. It really can be too much and leave one with the feeling of constant dread. Great news that your mum has had both jabs. My parents are in their 70s, so next on the vaccine rollout list. Is the online learning with Lainey doggy training? How funny, I love the idea of dogs getting together on Zoom! Lainey looks very content in that picture and Bel Mooney’s advice is very sensible. Take care, Lulu xXx

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Here's to a better new year Sue.
Glad Lainey and you are enjoying the training and that it's going well.
I've stopped listening to the news and cut down on my social media because it was making me so down. Working in the NHS means I don't get a break from it otherwise.
Hope all goes well for you.

Kim

Flowerpot said...

Addy - we ARE in the middle of a nightmare, that's the trouble. But at least the vaccines are rolling out fast and the case numbers are decreasing. We just need to hang on in there and be really careful.

Flowerpot said...

The Small Fabric - thanks for that,I will! Glad that you're writing too. That will keep us going. X

Flowerpot said...

Lulu - the online training for Lainy was brilliant. We had two Zoom sessions on consecutive Fridays for us owners and in between we had a WhatsApp group with tasks for each day of stuff to learn with our dogs. It was brilliant! Take care xx

Flowerpot said...

Kim and all - You of all people, working from the NHS, really need to get away from the news, don't you? Do take care, thinking of you. Flowerpot xx