Wednesday 12 December 2012

Website, book signing and travel

Waves at Treyarnon Bay, taken a few weekends ago.

First of all, courtesy of dear Neil, my website is now live– www.suekittow.co.uk. Any comments, or if you’d like me to add your link to mine, please let me know.
Also, I’m doing a book signing at Waterstone’s in Truro this Sunday, 16th November from 11-12.30. So if you’re doing some Christmas shopping, please call in and say hello and/or buy a copy or two. I was going to take along a biro but, “A biro?” cried Mr B. “You have to have a proper nib pen to write your signature.” So that told me. Not that even I can read my signature…

Secondly, I've been asked if I’d like to go to Cuba. Cuba? I’ve been longing to go there for years. Though a) neither of us was entirely sober; b) while we’ve been friends for years, I don’t know Nick that well and c) I need to get Moll sorted before I commit myself. Even so – CUBA!!!!! Nick said, “you’d love it,” (as if I need persuading) – so watch this space.

But back to earth. I’ve been mulling over ideas for my next novel. Before you ask, no I haven’t heard anything from the agent who’s currently reading it so am trying not to think about it. Bubbles of excitement, mixed with an icy terror swirl uneasily in my stomach. I’m guessing it’s a No, so preparing myself for that, and working out who I’ll send it to next.

But I digress. I was talking to a friend about one of my characters who leaves his partner to go off sailing. “Surely he wouldn’t do that,” she said. “I’d love to go to Thailand but I won’t because my partner doesn’t want to go.”

“I didn’t go to lots of places because Pip didn’t want to go. Why not go on your own, or with someone else?” I said.

“No, I couldn’t,” she said, looking wistful.

I know we’re all different, but there was a time when Pip was keen to go on another long sailing trip, whereas I wasn’t. “Go,” I said to him, though the thought of him disappearing for 3 or 4 months filled me with a sick dread, and I knew I would lie awake at night imagining the worst. “I’d hate to think I stopped you from doing something you really want to do.”

In the end he couldn’t afford to go and I was highly relieved. But I would never have stopped him. He always said to me, “we’re only here once, Pop. We’ve got to make the most of it.” Looking back, I really wish he had gone, for it would have made such a difference to what turned out to be his last years.

Pip certainly made the most of his life, so I try and do the same now. But I will also make sure the character in my novel does. I would hate to get to my dotage and think, Oh I wish I’d been brave enough to do this, or get together with so and so, or travel to wherever.

We never know how much time we have here – so if there’s something you really want to do, someone you want to be with, or somewhere you want to go - try and do it. Before it’s too late.


11 comments:

Vermont Designs said...

YES.

Vermont Designs said...

YES.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks, Shelagh! xxx

ADDY said...

I agree entirely. Life is not a rehearsal. It's all you get. So make the most of it while you can.

Flowerpot said...

Addy - I like the life is not a rehearsal....

Bluestocking Mum said...

This touched a chord, Sue. That's so true. The right partner will always allow you to follow your dreams and do the things you'd like to do, however hard that might be for them. And you just never know what's around the corner so should make the most of life.

I reckon you're doing pretty well. Don't be too worried about not hearing from the agent. No news is maybe good news and perhaps they're engrossed in the book and planning those edits. Wait and see. I'll keep fingers crossed.

In the meantime, carry on making the most of life. Carpe Diem!

xx

ps - I've nominated you to be the 'Next Big Thing' over on my blog because you deserve it and you might just be...

Flowerpot said...

Debbie - thanks for all that and keep fngers crossed. Delighted to be nominated for the Next Big thing (I wish!) - will blog that next week. xxx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

You're so right!

I'm crossing everything that you receive good news from the agent. Best of luck.xxx

Flowerpot said...

Debs - I've had things crossed for so long now I can't think straight! Thanks - keep em crossed, please!xx

Talli Roland said...

I say go to Cuba! I've been a few times (popular holiday spot for Canadians), and it's gorgeous. But apart from the beaches, the people, music and culture in the run-down but beautiful cities are all amazing.

And best of luck with news from the agent! Keep us posted!

Flowerpot said...

Talli - I'd love to go to Cuba! Will have to see if it can be arranged. As for agent - you bet I'll keep uyou posted but not hoping for too much,. Think I would have heard by now if it was a Yes.