Thursday 26 March 2009

Henry, Don't Do That - or how to train your Dog


Dearly though I love Himself, when it comes to dog training, his idea of discipline differs from mine. Admittedly I was the one that took Mollie to puppy class, then to obedience training – though he did come along to the latter.

The obedience classes were as much for us as for Molls, and we both emerged with a better idea of what we should and should not do. However, four years on, I notice that Standards are Slipping.

Himself's idea of admonishing his dog is to look down, when she's eating something she shouldn't, and say vaguely, “Don't do that, darling,” in much the same tone as he would address me. Come to think of it, in EXACTLY the same tone.

If she misbehaves by bounding up to greet people rather over effusively and barking he growls at her (thereby exciting her all the more) or says, “Do something with your dog!”

The highlight of his discipline came last weekend when we were staying with my mum. We were sitting in the garden reading the paper (in blissful sun) when Mollie came up with her brand new ball (thanks, Mum, best present ever).

Himself looked down at Mollie and evidently thought he'd show that he was In Charge. “Drop it,” he said sternly.

Mollie took no notice and carried on wrestling with the toy.

“Mollie, leave it!”

Again, nothing. Not even an ear twitch.

“Mollie? I said DROP IT!”

Mollie looked up, smirked, and continued playing.

Himself sighed heavily, “Oh, please yourself, then,” he said.

So you can see why most dog trainers are women....

16 comments:

Pat Posner said...

Flowerpot, I think I'll have the same problem with my 'Himself' and our two pups. They've got lots of puppy teething toys but their dad encourages them to chew his slippers.

Flowerpot said...

Pat - what shall we do with these hopeless men?! Best of luck with your pups!!

Akelamalu said...

That sounds much the same as MWM used to chastise the kids! :(

Vermont Designs said...

Ahh yes, the Male Training Method. A nameless one here never knows where Miss G. is outside, a vague, "Somewhere around" when asked. Then I have to go scouring the woods. She usually is where the latest deer bones are located so it isn't too hard!! love SIL.

Flowerpot said...

aK - what is it with men and discipline?!!

Flowerpot said...

Vermont Designs - well you know what he's like only too well!!

ADDY said...

My daughter always has a knack of getting Snoopy to do what she wants. Hubby and I always give in too easily.

Flowerpot said...

It's easy to give in Rosiero isn't it? I refuse to though!

Lane Mathias said...

lol.
I'm the only one in our house who disciplines the dogs but that's only because I have the loudest voice. I think we all need classes:-)

Merry said...

Yes..I think I have those experiences as well. So hard when they look so sweet!

http://www.susandallphotography.wordpress.com

Michelle said...

We do not posess dogs but the male attitude to discipline stretches (albeit loosely) to chickens too! Found your blog on a Cornish search and realise we have blog buddies in common too!
Michelle
x

Flowerpot said...

Lane - My voice is pretty loud too. My dad used to call me the fishwife....

Flowerpot said...

Susan - good to meet you and I love your pictures. What a talent! And always good to meet antoher dog lover...

Flowerpot said...

Mickmouse - good to meet another writer - adn a Cornish one too! Do come again....

Chris Stovell said...

Yes, it must be difficult to tick her off - especially when she's looking all innocent as in that gorgeous photo of her - but much better for everyone to have a dog you can trust to behave (hmmm, will not draw any parallels with any other living creature at this point!)

Flowerpot said...

Chris - well thankfully she does behave 98% of the time!! No thanks to Himself, mind you...