Monday 16 March 2009

Interviews and Insecurities

Trust me to tempt fate. Just when I thought I could get stuck into the novel, along comes an interview that will need a lot of preparation. I'm interviewing Patrick Gale, prior to the publication of his latest novel, The Whole Day Through.

As with any interview, I am concerned that I prepare well, which means trawling through old interviews, learning about his background, thinking up new questions, and reading his new novel. I'm currently cross eyed from staring at the computer screen and my brain's reached saturation point.

Before any interview, I am always nervous. Rather like stage fright. Another journalist friend thinks this is a good thing. “It keeps you focused and means you don't get complacent,” she said. “It means you end up doing a good interview.” (I can only hope.) In fact, preparation is the key to a good interview. Compiling the right questions.

But my nerves usually filter into a bad case of sudden insecurity - can I do this person justice? Will he/she – and I – be pleased with the end result? Will my editor be pleased?

There's also the matter of the recession which has hit the main magazine I work for. Redundancies have been made, cuts implemented and many rumours flying around. Obviously as a freelancer I can't be made redundant, but the threat of No Work is always there.

Having said all that, would I swap jobs? Go back to working in an office, or juggling bureaucracy? Would I hell....

24 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Oh goodluck, m'dear, but I'm sure you'll be fine, especially having done all that groundwork. Look forwards to reading about how you got on.

I've also caught up with your previous post and yes, you've really been through the wringer so I'm glad you're beginning to feel stronger. Take care, Cx

Flowerpot said...

oh Chris thanks so much - on all counts. You've not exactly had it easy yourself recently. Hope you had a good break.

Relationship rehab! said...

Nice blog: I'll link to you ;0)

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Flowerpot, I'm very excited to hear about that. I lurve Patrick Gale's work. They have the funniest titles: The Aerodynamics of Pork is one of my favourite titles.

Very good luck and please report back.

Flowerpot said...

Relationship - good to meet you and glad you enjoy the blog.

JJ - They're great titles aren't they? Though this one - The Whole Day Through - is a lot more sober title! It's to be published in May this year with another of his being published in October, so keep a look out!

Anonymous said...

Well you certainly sound like you'll be prepared. Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

CJ xx

Elaine Denning said...

Oh, good luck! I'd be terrified.

I must say - as a voyeur - I love to get into the heart and soul of people. I want to know their deepest, darkest secrets. I want to know what makes them stare wide eyed at the ceiling in the dead of night...the time they were the most distraught or humiliated or sad or confused. I want to know what they eat for breakfast...what they think 'love' is, what they want to accomplish before they leave this earth, what they think when they look in the mirror.

I guess I just want to much! lol. x

But that's just me.

Flowerpot said...

Crystal - thanks. Forearmed is forewarned - or it it the other way round?! Nothing worse than not being prepared....

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Sounds like the right mix, loads of prep, nerves, a bit of fear and a great interview!

Pat Posner said...

Best of luck, Flowerpot, though I'm sure you'll be great.
He's got dogs so you could always take Mollie as an ice-breaker *smile*

xxPat

Akelamalu said...

You'll do just great, as you always do. xx

ADDY said...

I'm nervous for you now!

sallywrites said...

Fantastic - I can't think of anything better. I'm sure that the interview went well.

Flowerpot said...

Elaine - well, being nosy is a pre-requisite for a journalist! Perhaps you should do the course I did? Think about it....

MOB - thanks. I hope so!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Pat. I was going to take Molls but we're not meeting at his farm so I may not!

Ak - thanks mate!

Flowerpot said...

Rosiero - no we can't both be nervous!

Sally - not till next week actually but thanks anyway!

Flowerpot said...

Rosiero - no we can't both be nervous!

Sally - not till next week actually but thanks anyway!

Cornish Dreamer said...

I'm sure you'll have a great interview with Patrick Gale. But good luck!

Flowerpot said...

Thanks, RT! I'm looking forward to it...

Liane Spicer said...

"Go back to working in an office, or juggling bureaucracy?" Hell, no! I'll take the writing life, wobbles and all.

Good luck with your interview.

Grump said...

Say Hi to Simon Ewart if he happens to be around Pats gaff. Does this mean you might be heading down Treen way?
Hope all going well in your life. We have had rain here and all the bush fires are gone. Hoooray.
x

Flowerpot said...

Liane - yes, it's worth the insecurities isn't it?!

Grump so glad you are over the worst of your weather - I've been wondering how you've been getting on. I will make a note to ask him about Simon and keep you posted!

Lane Mathias said...

Good luck fp. I'm sure you'll do a sterling job:-)

Flowerpot said...

Lane - many thanks.