Wednesday 16 January 2008

The Wonderful Stove




As you will see, here are some pictures of The Fire taken at a rather peculiar angle - so you'll have to use your imagination. The bottom one is Mike burying the remains of Himself in the wall. New year? New man......

The mantel shelf on top was made by Himself and painted accordingly. He chose the pictures to hang up (us aboard the boat he was living on when we met) and put the teapots and clock on the shelf.

After all that, my mother isn’t coming to spend the night but at least it got the jobs done…

Last week I read of Oscar, a dog who was so devoted to his mate Arthur the cat, that he dug up his grave and brought the body back to the house.

When Oscar’s owners woke up the following morning, they discovered the dog curled up in his bed with the late Arthur beside him. The owners said that the dog and cat were close and constant companions and Oscar, an 18 month old Lancashire Heeler, had watched them dig a grave in the garden and lower Arthur into it. They believe that Oscar climbed out of the cat flap in the night, dug up the body and pulled him back into the house. As Arthur’s coat was gleaming white the next morning, Oscar must have licked him clean.

I’m glad to say that Arthur is now reburied in a secure grave and Oscar has a new companion. A kitten called Limpet.

18 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

That's a fantastic stove! Job well done:-)

And what a dog story!
x

Flowerpot said...

lane it is a wonderful stove. I am deeply in love. And yes, I loved the dog story too.

Ellee Seymour said...

I like the stove too, much better than central heating.

Flowerpot said...

ellee - it's a completely different sort of heat, isn't it? And it's economical and with gas and electricity going up, perhaps we can do without the heating some of the time.

laurie said...

the stove looks cozy. love the stripey wallpaper.

i don't believe the oscar story. sorry. but it's a good myth.

Flowerpot said...

laurie - you cynic! I tend to agree mind. Never seen a dog do that...

Elaine Denning said...

Lassie would have done that sort of thing!

I love the stove too. It's gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I heard about Arthur somewhere else and I've named one of my characters after him. The character is a spirit, however. Love the photo's, great fireplace.

Crystal xx

Julia Phillips Smith said...

That dog story is very heartbreaking. Urban myth? Who knows. Any dog owner would believe that one.

And very nice stove!

Philipa said...

Aww what a sad but sweet dog story.

I miss my coal fires :-(

Anonymous said...

That's such a sad story, and probably just confirms what many of us already know about our dogs.

The stove looks great - my open fire isn't terribly efficient, but I balked at the disruption of having a wood-burner installed!

Irene said...

That stove looks very efficient and should keep you very warm. It is also nice to see some shots of your interior, which is quite cozy.

I don't know about the dog story. It sounds like an urban myth, but it is nice to think that it really happened.

Cornish Dreamer said...

Mr FP has done a wonderful job with the mantel shelf and it's a lovely stove. I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of it.

That's quite a sad story about Oscar. Glad he's got a new companion now.

Flowerpot said...

MissU - yes you have a point - and have you seen the recent version of Lassie? Oh, I wept all the way through!

Crystal - well I have my own Arthur - so to speak. But he's a younger version of yours I think!

Flowerpot said...

Julia - yes I like to think the best and I do know dogs and cats who have been brought up together who are very close so who knows?

Philipa - I'm now a wood burning stove addict. In fact I'd light it now if I didnt have to rush off to a meeting!

Flowerpot said...

Graham - I agree. Our dogs are wonderful, caring and loving beings. As for the disruption: it wouldnt be much. ifyou have an open fire you wouldn't have to have teh chimney lined. Just need a register plate and an attachment for the stove. Says she, the addict!

sweet irene - yes it's very warm and cozy. I'm hooked!

Flowerpot said...

RT - I will pass on your comments. I think he's done a great job.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I read about the dog and cat too. How sweet.