Wednesday 16 June 2010

Happy anniversary

A few weeks ago it was our anniversary, and our plans were rather disrupted by meeting up with some Australian cousins that afternoon. Himself bought himself and Rob a pint, and when that was finished, Rob (Aussie cousin) eyed my husband. “You drink port?” he said.

“Of course,” said Himself, as if he drank it regularly. (Last time was 4 years ago.)

Rob came back with two huge schooners of port, and having downed his, Himself looked quite rosy and declared he was going to drive home.

“No way,” I said grabbing the keys.

“I haven't had much,” he said. “Port's nothing – like snow off a ditch.”

I held onto the keys and ignored him. On the way home he said, “Let's go and have a meal out to celebrate, Pop.” Then he said, “I'll pay.” That's when I knew he wasn't sober.

To be honest I'm not that fussed because a) it's expensive b) we usually have disappointing food c) Himself is a very good cook and c) I don't actually like eating out much. I get nervous with those hovering waiters and never know what to choose. But I knew he wanted to go, and was touched that he'd asked.

“That would be nice,” I said. And then came the problem of trying to decide where to go. We decided against our local pub, so I suggested the bar at the marina.

“No,” he said, “they've gone all modern with those square potatoes.” (Small pause while I choked with laughter at the idea of those poor spuds.) “I don't like food that's been F***ed around with, Pop.”

And that rather set the tone for the evening. We did go out in the end, but the wine was like vinegar, the portions were far too big which we both found offputting, and sitting opposite us were two of the hugest women I have ever seen (25 stone plus at a guess), eating their way through platefuls and platefuls of food.

Now, what shall we do next year?

21 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

What a shame. It's such a risk isn't it, if you don't know the place and I hate wasted money.

It was a lovely idea of Himself's though:-)

Becky said...

Sue, I hate it even more when portions are too small. Beautifully presented as if they were a piece of modern art, but you leave still feeling hungry and fill up on crackers and cheese at home ! well I do anyway :-)

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Happy belated Anniversary wishes Sue and Himself♥ At least the thought was there. Yikes I hope it wasn't an Aussie schooner glass at 425 mls:) The deleted comment was mine as I was rambling again:(

Flowerpot said...

Lane - I hate wasted money too.Luckily I'd got a 50% off voucher which made it a little less painful!

Flowerpot said...

Becky - difficult to get it right, isn't it? That's awful when you're still hungry. Even more of a waste of money!

Flowerpot said...

Manchester Lass - I think it was an English sized schooner but it did seem quite large!

Chris Stovell said...

I have exactly the same thought process about eating out! And I'm also put off by a huge plate of food. Better luck next year.

Akelamalu said...

It's a shame when a meal out is disappointing.

I'm so glad you didn't let Himself drive after drinking - it really is one thing that's guaranteed to get me on my soapbox.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Happy belated anniversary to you both.

We recently went out for a meal at a lovely old pub in a nearby parish where the food is always lovely, however, this time there was a man on a nearby table who ate everything he could lay his hands on. I mean everything. He took a small spoon and even scooped out all the dressing from a small bowl and ate that. Revolting.

Amanda said...

Yes, happy belated anniversary!

Sorry the meal out was so awful, but a lovely thought on himself's part!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - oh I'm so glad it isn't just me. Most people look at me blankly when I say what I think!

Flowerpot said...

Ak - I know I am most fervent about not drinking and driving. Himself is of an age when he never had to worry, so finds it more difficult to get his head round it.

國昆國昆 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trubes said...

Belated, Anniversary greetings to FP and 'Himself'.
I so agree with you about 'eating out'!
We have yet to find a decent eaterie that serves, good wholesome food, cooked on the premises, using fresh seasonal produce.
So, I wholeheartedly agree with you about eating in, dinner a deux!

Di.xx

Flowerpot said...

Trubes - glad you agree as well! Actually there is a very good veggie place I go to with The Girls once a month - very good, reasonably priced food and she's a fab cook. Trouble is, Himself doesn't do Veggie food. Sigh...!

Anonymous said...

That's a funny story, now, but I imagine you weren't too happy at the time! However, you managed to get out and be entertained at the same time.

CJ xx

Flowerpot said...

CJ - and I'm sure I'll use it in an article some time!

Pat Posner said...

Belated greetings to you and Himself.

Shame about the meal but the thought was lovely.

xxPat

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Pat!

李映 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.