Tuesday 4 June 2013

Another rollercoaster


As ever with my life, the last week has been another rollercoaster. First of all I’ve had some bad news on the work front which was very upsetting. More on that when I get confirmation of what’s happening. Also, Richard and Judy, who I'd been hoping to interview in April for my next walks book, now are too busy. Darn....

But the good thing was that we had the days owing to us from our sailing course last weekend which has been amazing. It’s over 40 years since I last sailed a dinghy so to say I am rusty is somewhat of an understatement. The nautical terms also cause my brain to atrophy – I seem to have not only forgotten them but have great difficulty in assimilating them – Close Haul – Beam Reach (no, I know that one) – but actually doing them has made understanding them much easier.

On Saturday we sailed in very strong winds – we were the only dinghy out there, and for beginners it was a real baptism of fire. I was worried about letting Mr B down but I didn’t and our instructor thought we did really well. I’d forgotten that incredible buzz I get from sailing – it really is incredibly addictive when you heel over, feeling the sheer power of the boat under you, knowing that you’re harnessing the wind to make it work for you. Very heady stuff.

On Sunday we had hardly any wind at all to begin with, meaning that we now know we can sail in all weathers. It was less tiring but we learnt just as much, doing different manoeuvres, and being warm was a bonus. In the afternoon we sailed among the classic boats out near Black Rock in the harbour which was a truly wonderful sight, and we felt incredibly proud to be there.

As we walked home on Saturday, Mr B said, “I expect you’ll write all this down now,” but I shook my head. “I feel too full of it all,” I said. For once words couldn’t describe how I felt. I felt very emotional – as if I’d been pumped up with something similar to laughing gas but more intense. I also felt bruised, battered and bewildered from braving high winds in a small boat, but a steady sense of achievement at what we’d done.

I will try and clear my head and articulate my feelings better. But I think it’s safe to say that we’ve both got The Sailing Bug. We just need to find somewhere to keep that boat now….

6 comments:

Akelamalu said...

I hope whatever the situation with work it will work out for you. I love sailing - but only on big boats where someone else does all the work. You do make it sound exciting though! :)

Flowerpot said...

It was very exctiing Ak!

Chris Stovell said...

Gosh, you do have some ups and downs, but being back out on the water clearly suited you. Good to hear something worked out this week for you.

Flowerpot said...

Chris - thanks. It was turning into that sort of week!

Rena George said...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH RICHARD AND JUDY??
What a bummer!
I's so sorry, Sue. It was such a brilliant idea (for them as well as for your book) Maybe they will still find that they have a slot in their busy lives after all. I do hope so.
It's good to see it hasn't put you off your stride though. All that sailing stuff sound so exciting. x

Flowerpot said...

Rena - yes it is a bummer but perhaps they will have time later in the year... but the sailing is great and somethign may come of that...