Wednesday 4 June 2014

Adventures afloat

Last week was one of great excitement - not only was I privileged enough to watch the Pendennis Cup from their spectator launch, but on Saturday Mr B and I, and others who race with Charlie Choak were invited on his boat to watch the Red Arrows.

The morning dawned grey with heavy clouds and no wind, and as the Red Arrows were cancelled at the last minute last year due to low cloud, we were all fearful the same thing would happen. Av rang that morning and said it was lovely weather in Dorset. Good, I muttered, through gritted teeth.

Then, late morning, the sun broke through and shone, with a light breeze, for the rest of the day. And it was magical. The only downside was that the wonderful yachts didn't have their sails up so I couldn’t take pictures of them under sail, but here are a few of the afternoon.

I also interviewed the boat designer Roger Dongray on Friday which was a fascinating morning. He’s the man who designed the Shrimper and Crabber, if that means anything to you readers. Most interviews take about 45 minutes but this one went on for nearly two hours! An amazing man and incredibly modest about his talents.

Now, it’s back to real life. Taking the lone sailor to hospital on Monday. I had dentist and doctor yesterday, and life will settle down again.

Nothing like a few adventures afloat to make life special, though.

10 comments:

ADDY said...

I love that last photo. I have watched the Red Arrows many times (they used to do annual displays where my mother lived. I never cease to admire their precision and daring.

Sally said...

What a wonderful bunch of experiences afloat! I'm really sorry we didn't manage to get to see the Red Arrows but your photos are brilliant and they are back in August I've read. Hope the Lone Sailor is okay. All the best to you and all your sailors! :)

Flowerpot said...

Sally - yes they are due to come back for Falmouth Week so hope for good weather then. The Lone Sailor is fine thanks, as are the others! xx

Flowerpot said...

Addy - they are incredible aren't they? They flew for about 20 minutes and had a wonderful audience which must have been great for them too.

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Isn't it great when you enjoy work so much anyway, then you get an extra special person to interview or something special to write about.
Lucky you, you've had a special week all round.
Keep well

Flowerpot said...

Kim - I know I am very lucky indeed!

Rena George said...

It's wonderful to hear you're getting back to all the things that you love.x

Flowerpot said...

Rena -thank you. Itmakes all the difference to me!

Akelamalu said...

Great photo of the Red Arrows FP and it's good to hear you're doing things that make you happy. x

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Ak - glad you enjoyed the picture!