Wednesday 28 January 2015

Goodbyes

Well I haven’t managed to make a killing on eBay. Yet. In fact, I haven’t managed to sell anything. But there’s hope yet… My friend Sally Anne, who is an Expert, says it’s a very bad time of year to sell…

Meanwhile there’s been bad news on the work front - as of March I have lost my monthly column. Due to budget cutbacks, apparently but you never know. Still, at least I still have my monthly sailing slot, and have another new editor to work for which is exciting.

And a sad goodbye to Jane Collins, who runs the Star and Garter pub in Falmouth at the top of the High Street - the Teapot pub, as many know it. She has had this pub for the last 28 years, and during this time has accumulated 415 teapots of varying wonderful designs, as well as some incredible paintings of local staff and customers.

Jane sold the pub recently and we enjoyed several leaving parties. There were 3 official ones, then a Dregs Party on Friday where the first drink was free and thereafter £1 a drink. Then on Monday my friend Deb and I were invited to finish yet more dregs of wine.

“I don’t know what she put in the wine,” said Mr B later, as I giggled constantly about nothing, “but I could do with some of that.”

Sadly the pub is now officially shut, and dear Jane will be leaving this weekend. She will be sorely missed, not just as a landlady but as someone who was a kind friend to many, with a very big heart.

The new owners are shutting for 6 months - and then who knows what guise this pub will have? Whatever, Jane has made sure that the Star and Garter has earned a place in Falmouth’s history.

So here’s raising a glass to Jane - and whatever she does next.

8 comments:

Dc said...

No doubt will turn into one of those gastro pubs like a lot of ours do in this area. They then become too expensive for us locals!

ADDY said...

Sorry to hear about your column and also about your friend leaving. It's always a worry when somewhere you like changes hands. Will it be better or worse?

Flowerpot said...

Addy - it will be different, that's for sure!

Flowerpot said...

DC - I hope not. We don't tend to eat there anyway but it's handy for a drink!

Colette McCormick said...

Sorry to hear both bits of bad news but chine up something good may come of it. That has become my phylosophy on life.

Flowerpot said...

Absolutely, Colette - mine too! x

Anonymous said...

I think those personal pubs are few and far between these days, with too many chains taking over and breweries getting their way - profit, profit, profit. Little is about the personal touch anymore...such a shame.

CJ x

Flowerpot said...

CJ - there are a lot of proper pubs down here thankfully but it will be interesting to see what happens to this one...