Wednesday 16 December 2015

A Christmas Star

There’s a saying, “if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans”.

Now, I’m not religious but I am amazed at how swiftly life can turn around sometimes. I know I should be used to it, but this time it took even me by surprise.

We’d been offered four days in a cottage in Mousehole this week which we were both really looking forward to - see the famous Mousehole lights and generally have a bit of a break before Christmas. Another friend had offered us her cottage in Penzance the following week or for Christmas itself. For someone who has always found Christmas really difficult, life was glistening with opportunities.

But over the weekend Mr B felt really poorly. After several emotional days he decided he really wasn’t well enough to go away, and the best thing would be to go north wards to try and get some more medical advice.

So all plans were swiftly unmade, I looked up train times and despatched him yesterday, with our heads reeling. I feel like one of those snowstorm things you pick up and shake, and after a little while, they settle. Right now, Mr B and I are still at the shaken stage.

The most important thing is for him to feel better. After all, you can’t be happy without your health. But it’s incredibly hard to leave the people you love - particularly at this emotional time of year.

I have no idea, at the moment, what this Christmas will bring. Other than several emotional phone calls. But yesterday my dear friends who live upstairs gave me a Christmas star that lights up.

And as I found out, 5 years ago when my Pip was so poorly, even when everything is really dire, there are always stars that light up. You just have to look for them.


8 comments:

Dc said...

Always is, just have to keep looking!

Flowerpot said...

DC - quite right!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I do hope Mr B is feeling much better soon. You are right, there are always stars. x

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Debs - happy new year to you X

ADDY said...

I'm so sorry Mr B is poorly and hope he is on the mend soon. How lovely of your neighbours to give you that star.I always find when you are down that there there is a lot of good in the world and people who care. All the best for Christmas.x

Flowerpot said...

Addy - I hope he is better soon, too. You're right we are lucky that there are people who care. Have a good one yourself X

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

So sorry Mr B is unwell, I hope they can sort him out up north. Hope you enjoy your Christmas, it sounds like you have a few human stars around you, looking after you.
Have a good Christmas.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Kim - and you have good one too X