Tuesday 15 October 2019

Friends

No, I haven't turned religious - this is the granite cross used as a navigational marker near Dodman Point - a walk for the new book last week.

When you live on your own you get used to not sharing a bed with someone. I have to say this is one of the things I really miss. Also eating alone. But it does teach you to be resilient. Ultimately you have only yourself to rely on.

I was a bit apprehensive, as I said, before going to Roscoff, as I didn’t know how we’d all get on, but in fact it worked so well and it was lovely to have people to eat with. To go to sleep in a house with other people.

We shared some very personal things which always brings you closer. I learned that I have some true friends, and I am so grateful for that.

Last week I had some unexpected news that really shocked and hurt me - particularly as it meant the holiday I’d been looking forward to whistled out of the window quicker than you could say ‘knife’, with no mention of an alternative date. (Why knife, I wonder, or am I mixing metaphors?)

A week later, the sense of being let down still sits in my gut in an undigested lump, too sore to think about, let alone prod. A cancer of my feelings, raw and bleeding, that I can’t go near.

A dear friend once said to me that friends are people who you would forgive, no matter what they do. I was discussing this with Anne, on a walk this morning and she said, “I think the opposite is true. A friend shouldn't need forgiving. If a friend lets you down, that is the ultimate betrayal.”

I agree. To me, friends are those who will always support you, who never let you down. They are people you know you can trust.

And while I might have had a kick in the guts, I’m so fortunate to have several dear souls who I am honoured to call friends. This, of course, being one of them...

6 comments:

Dc said...

Very true. I also think the same applies to close family members.

The Love Of Nostalgia said...

Sorry you have had a bad shock hope you will feel ok soon. xx

ADDY said...

So sorry someone has let you down. Without knowing the details, I agree that a friend should never let you down, but I suppose that is a big ask to expect for every situation.

Like you, I also struggle with being alone sometimes. I hate the bedtime routine, where I turn out all the lights and climb the stairs for bed, being the only one in the house. I often eat in front of the television - at least that way I have some "company"

Flowerpot said...

DC - yes I agree!

Flowerpot said...

Addy - yes I think you are right. I don;'t mind the bedtime routine but I hate coming back to an empty flat when I've been away. XX

Flowerpot said...

Love of Nostalgia - what a great name for a blog, and welcome!