Tuesday 29 June 2021

A Visit to Mary Wesley's home town

Tomorrow I am off to see my mum in her care home and also meet up with my dear friend, Av, whom I haven't seen for 18 months now thanks to lockdown, so it will be a joyous reunion.

We are taking Mum out for lunch, then staying at a B&B in Totnes - a new one for Lainy who will, no doubt, be a bit wide eyed at it all, but I'm hoping that with her familiar things around her, and me, she will be fine. Av has already fallen in love with her, albeit through photos, so we're looking forward to a few quiet walks and some picnics with Lainy.

Totnes was also the residence of the great Mary Wesley, whose novels I have read time and time again - my favourites are The Vacillations of Poppy Carew, and Harnessing Peacocks. I never tire of the wonderful characters that jump off the page, the fantastically intricate plots, and her completely unique approach to novel writing. No one since has ever come close to her stories, I don't think.

My mum used to work in a second hand bookshop at the top of Totnes many years ago, and Mary Wesley would often call in there. She was quiet, very modest and always interested in books. Very different from the characters that she wrote about.

So while we are there, I will take time to think about her work. About what made her books so special. And try and take heart from the fact that she was 70 when her first adult novel was accepted. Let's hope I make it before then!

3 comments:

Non1 said...

Hope you have a good time in Totnes. Mary Wesley is one of my favourite authors too and Harnessing Peacocks is my favourite. I like Not That Sort of Girl as well. I heard her speak at Dartington Literary Festival and she was very interesting particularly about how she came to write and because she couldn't afford much paper, had to make every word count. I've also read her biography and she had an interesting life.

Flowerpot said...

Glad to meet you Non! and to meet another Mary Wesley fan! She did have an interesting life, didn't she?

Lulu said...

Interesting about Mary Wesley. Another one to add to the list. Hope you and Lainey had a lovey time Sue, visiting your mum and seeing your friend. I am loving your moody weather photos! Lulu x