Wednesday 6 October 2021

Getting to Know You and Cheering News



First my good news. The book I've just written is from a dog's point of view - Moll's to be precise. It almost wrote itself, because Moll was such a strong character, and I laughed and cried as I wrote it. Or she did.

But because it's very different from other books on the market, I wasn't sure if it was marketable, and if so, which agents/publishers to approach, so I asked a freelance editor to have a look at it and give me advice on how to go forward.

Her report landed in my inbox on Monday morning and she really likes it. She said some amazing things about it - every time I read it, I think - is she really talking about MY book? HOORAY!!! And I can't wait to start working on it with her next week.

This news cheered me up, because of a canine scrap at the end of last week. Which is similar to those of you with children/grandchildren who don't get on.

We don't like everyone we meet, and just because we like our friends, doesn't mean that we necessarily like THEIR friends. The same can be true of dogs.

Moll pretty much ignored other dogs - she was very self contained and in her own world, which meant there would be the odd snap but otherwise no conflict. Although we didn't often have other dogs in our flat because it's small, and this can be the difference. Dogs, like people, can walk together happily enough, but put them in a house for a while and if one dog sniffs another bowl, for instance, this can develop into an incident.

This happened last week with my fella's dog, and I felt terrible. I love his dog, who is the polar opposite of Lainy in temperament and doesn't fight back - just as well. Lainy can be unpredictable, and she's very fast, but looking back on it, I can see the triggers. I was appalled that Lainy might have hurt his dog - I was responsible, after all. But as M said, "We just need to plan it better, make sure it doesn't escalate" - for planning is the secret to avoiding any future disagreements.

I did everything wrong over the weekend - I worried desperately, felt really guilty, was terrified it would happen again. Though I have done a lot of planning for our next meeting, and am trying to take his advice, not worry, and make sure that we don't get future scraps. It's more upsetting for us than them, I think.

So the motto of this episode is Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring! Keep calm, watch our dogs carefully, distract them when necessary, and in my case, carry on writing....


6 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hope your pets sort out their differences and that yours is soon ready for her moment of fame (picture on the back sleeve of the book?)

Lulu said...

Your editor sounds really lovely Sue, and I am very intrigued by your book. Sorry to hear of the doggy scrap. I have a daft theory that some dogs instantly take offense to others because of there extraordinary keen sense of smell. Hope you are having a fab week. Lulu x

ADDY said...

It is so true that dogs and children do not necessarily get on well just because they're put in the same place together. I'm sure you will workout a way to solve the problem and it is heartwarming that you care about it enough to worry - there are so many dog walkers one hears about who just walk off not even caring when their dog attacks another dog.

Flowerpot said...

Betty - I'm sure they will sort out their differences. Actually, they've been fine for the last six weeks so one squabble in that length isn't bad. The book is written by my last dog but I have plenty of pictures of her - which would go on the front cover, damn the back cover!!!!

Flowerpot said...

Lulu - my editor is fabulous and we had a really good brainstorming Zoom yesterday which was very encouraging. I don't think the dogs dislike each other - more that Lainy isn't used to having another dog in her home space.... X

Flowerpot said...

Addy - Thanks, I am sure we will. I am perhaps over conscientious and certainly over sensitive!