Wednesday 26 January 2022

Banishing January Blues


I'm normally a kind of glass half full person, but for some reason, recently I've really been struggling. Part of it is the good old Cornish winter weather which, let's face it, I'm used to. But this year I am finding the lack of sunlight really dispiriting. I know - I'm not complaining. We're lucky not to have had wall to wall rain as well as grey, as we do most winters, but even so....

So what do you do to banish the winter blues? Well, this is what I've been doing. Last Tuesday my dear friend Jac and I did a dash up to Devon and back to take my mum out for lunch. It was a full on day but she really enjoyed it, though as we took her back, she said, "I've been looking forward to this for so long, and now it's over." I think you can imagine how we both felt, but we are seeing her again in a few weeks.

I've been struggling to find enthusiasm for editing my novel which is not like me at all, but I am keeping on, and news of some part time work appeared so I will keep my fingers crossed about that. Another dear friend wrote me a long list of what I'd achieved last year work wise which instantly made me feel better, so many thanks to Pauline for that.

The sun came out on Friday - hooray! So I met another friend for a walk and bacon baps and that cheered me no end. On Sunday Jac and I went to have a bowl of soup with my cousins in Penzance which is always stimulating company and they commented on how much more relaxed and confident Lainy was - and that cheered me no end. All that hard work is paying off! Afterwards we went to Godolphin for a walk and despite the cold and the grey, it wove its magic around us.

And afer that, it was really lovely to get back to my fella's place, where it was cosy and warm, the oven was on ready for our dinner, and he lit the fire. That really made my day.

Come to think of it, I had a really busy week. What does everyone else do to Banish the Blues?

4 comments:

Lee said...

Well,for one thing I love to read your blog.You sound such an interesting person.I have suffered with mental health all my life but no one would know really.I am a Glass Half Full really and beat The Black Dog down all the time,determined I will be in control.I Love Cornwall with a passion and to live here really just drives the blues away.I don't dwell,what will be will be.Live for today.I am a crafter and have been doing some sort of craft from a very early age and I love it.I Love dog walking,even in the rain,who cares it only wet stuff after all.Breath in that air,look at that scenery.And I love to blog too,just a few of the things that help me.Oh,and of course some wonderful REAL friends.x

Lulu said...

Hello Sue, sounds like you have had some lovely days out. Walk with bacon baps sounds like a great idea. How wonderful of your friend Pauline to make that list. I've been experiencing a January slump - finding my bed far too cosy. But work is busy and I'm trying to squeeze in exam revision too. Is your first photo Cornish Mars? I need to revisit Godolphin. Hope you have a super week. Lulu xXx

Flowerpot said...

Lee - I'm sorry you've had mental health problems - well, I think we all have at some point, but it gets a pain when it goes on a lot doesn't it? Good for you for fighting it, that's great, and don't dogs help? I don't mind walking in the rain, either - that's what waterproof clothing is for after all! Glad to meet you - and real friends are gold dust aren't they? Take care X

Flowerpot said...

~Lulu - sorry you've been having a January slump too though everyone I know has too. Good luck with revision - the first photo was at Goongumpas near Twelveheads. Enjoy your week XXX