Wednesday 25 May 2022

Old Loves and New

Those of you who know me, know who this is - the stroppy, indomitable, grouchy, charming Moll. I know those adjectives sound contradictory, but she was, and like most dog lovers, I loved her with every inch of my soul (if that's mixed metaphors, I don't care. I did.).

For the last 18 months though, since Moll's death, Lainy has wriggled into the canine shaped space in my heart and, despite significant challenges, has made herself a comfy nest and has to desire to leave, it seems. Nor would I wish her to.

However, I have to say my heart wobbled this morning. After an early appointment at the dentist, I took Lainy for a walk at College Woods in Penryn and on our return to the car, bumped into an old singing friend, Jilly, with her young dog, Eric. I daren't show a picture of him here, but suffice it to say that he looked so like Moll I could have scooped him up and taken him home. Instantly Thankfully, Lainy seemed unaware of the adulterous nature of my heart, and continued to sniff around for scattered items of food on the ground. I feel guilty just writing this, for it has nothing to do with my love for her, but oh - Eric. My heart is yours. though of course really it's Moll's.

That got me thinking about how life can trip us all up at the most unexpected times. And while it can be profoundly distressing, the flip side of that, once we've got over the kapow! moment, is to remember the good times we had with our loved ones. Whether it's husbands, mothers, dogs, ex-partners , sisteors, brothers or whoever, I like to think of that warm place they all occupy that is still very much a part of me.

After all, who was it said that grief is merely love in a different form?

3 comments:

Lee said...

Do you know,I could listen to you all day.No wonder you are such a talent at writing.You have such a lovely way of expressing,and drawing a picture with your words.You say just what I feel inside but can't express it outside.Have a feeling of how you must have felt when you saw Eric.Now,have you tried clicking on the Subsribe to comments at the bottom of page ( at least I think they all have that ) of blogs you may not be able to comment on just a thought.Huggles xx

Flowerpot said...

Thank you, Lee, that means so much. And thank you for the tip. The curious thing was, I used to be able to comment and now I can't. I will try right now.... XX

Flowerpot said...

Damn it still didn't work. The advice given was for managing comments on my own blog. Will try again! x