Friday 11 September 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-chan-ges.....


This is Frenchman's Creek, made famous by Daphne du Maurier in her novel of that name. In it, the heroine, Donna, undergoes a huge life change by running away from London to the obscurity of Cornish life and falls in love with a pirate. Which makes the novel sound like a trite whimsical affair - if you read it, it's anything but. This is someone who knows her creeks and tides, knows the way the wind russles in the trees. She knows her boats and her birds, she can write about tension, love, suspense and escapism, and all of this is evident in her writing.

On Monday a group of us got together for a meal, and everyone there is undergoing change. One of us lost her partner in February. She has been struggling through the necessary change in living without him, discovered she has far more friends than she had dreamt of, and has now decided to work for the Samaritans. I take my hat off to her - the training sounds very hard but I think she will be brilliant at it; furthermore, I'm sure she will gain a lot from it.

Another friend is struggling with a part time course, a part time job and trying to paint. You know those days when you feel you're sinking? I think that's how she feels at the moment. Looking at it objectively, she needs to either give something up, organise her time better or get up earlier. Putting it into practise is the bit that requires discipline, as we all know...

My change is continual, but I like having a life where every day is different. This week I've met a wonderful fellow who started collecting vintage gramophones when he retired, and has now had to go back to being self employed, he's so successful. I've struggled with family problems (still unresolved) and tussled with the novel. The novel is the hardest of all - I love doing it but it's so difficult to know if the edits I'm doing are enough. But all writers are insecure and I'm no different from the rest. It's learning to live with the fact that my writing is never good enough - or to look at it another way, it could always be better. That's either depressing or a constant challenge. I prefer to see it as the latter.

Yesterday we did the Frenchmans Creek walk for Cornwall Today magazine on a day of such intense brightness that the sunlight was almost white. These days are the ones I will hold onto in the grey murk of winter (which let's face it isn't that different from the grey murk of summer in the West Country). These days make me so very glad to live here.

My third friend has met a new man, is incredibly stressed at work and is struggling to cope with all that. She knows the work side of things will calm down and being a philosophical person, has accepted that she will go through sleepless periods when she's so stressed she can't think straight, and that very soon she can give it all up. Hooray!

Her new man sounds lovely if shy and so she's suggested a topic of conversation for when they next meet. The fact that she's chosen polygamy is perhaps unfortunate, but that's what the wine and sex diet does for you...

What changes are you going through, and how are you dealing with them?

21 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I love the photo, and really must make the effort to visit there sometime.

I empathize with how you feel with your writing, as I'm going through some sort of confidence dip at the moment. I know I'll come out of it, and think it could be due to preparing my son to go to Uni in England.

Strange times. I can't believe my children have grown up so much, and so quickly, or so it seems.

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Flowerpot, more serendipity in my life. I know you've seen my post already about 'Rebecca' but it's so strange that you should have blogged about Du Maurier today as well.

Clearly I'm going to need to read all her books! Thank you for the tip off.

The writing/confidence thing? I haven't sorted out how to manage that... so no words of wisdom there.

Flowerpot said...

Debs - it was so beautiful there yesterday, and writing up the walk makes me appreciate it all the more.

Flowerpot said...

JJ - strange isn't it? Must be a Du Maurier type of day! I think she is a fab writer - one of the best. As for writing and confidence - I'm OK with it. I think once you start thinking you can't improve, then you're in trouble!

Akelamalu said...

I'm not going through any changes at the moment but come December when I retire everything will change! I'm so looking forward to it. :)

Around My Kitchen Table said...

I'm on holiday at the moment and it's made me realise how much I too (like Akelamalu) am looking forward to retirement, unfortunately not for a a few years yet. I love my work but it does leave one seriously short of time for the more fun things in life!

Kate said...

Hi,

Just thought I would stop by and say hello - love the photo and really enjoyed reading your blog post - hope to read more from you

Kate x

Flowerpot said...

Ak - a bit party I should think - and a big change of life!

Flowerpot said...

Table - good to see you again Must exchange links. How are thing sin Devon? Lovely and sunny here for once in Cornwall!


Kate - good to meet you and please call again soon!

Philipa said...

Oh cripes I wish i could tell you, FP. Something so serious simply can't be discussed so I don't and that makes dealing with it more difficult. I use this little box more as chasing smiles I think. A happy distraction and source of fun. So on the subject of fun for adults I invite your question on my new blog post... ?

Flowerpot said...

Phil - that sounds not good. Wish you could tell me too! Over to you now...

Ellee Seymour said...

I'm sure your writing is really brilliant. I can never bear to read what I have written; now isn't that strange. I haven't read my book since it has been edited and published.
I would love to have done this walk with you. I loved reading Frenchman's
Creek. Well done you.

Chris Stovell said...

Good question, and interesting to read about all the changes going on in and around your life. Where do I start? Trying to move is the biggest. Trying to balance the budget another biggie... mustn't think about that too much! Adjusting to Ma coming to stay for a week the most immediate!

Flowerpot said...

Ellee - no I wish my writing was brilliant, but only by practising can it improve! I loved F Creek and the walk was just as wonderful!

Flowerpot said...

Oh Chris those are big changes. And your ma coming for a week - phew! Good for you!

MarmiteToasty said...

Huge changes in my life, in mind body and spirit..... it all seems overwhelming to me at the moment..

x

K.M. Saint James said...

Lovely muses. I can't remember a time that didn't seem to be in constant motion -- perhaps it's the kiddos that cause the chaos. I could try sticking to that story, but frankly, I think the upheaval is as much fault as theirs. The school start is always chaotic and it sees to be Thanksgiving before we settle into routine, then it's holidays and routine is gone, then a new semester, then out for summer and the whole mess circles round again. Good news, the kiddos aren't really kids anymore -- young adults actually -- and handling most of their own nonsense. The crisis do seem larger, however, and far more intent. Guess that's the trade off to not so many.

Happy writing on the edits. I'm a mere 12K (roughly on word count) from the end of my WIP. Ready to put this baby to bed or out the door, whichever I have the patience for.

Flowerpot said...

Marmie - keep your head above water. Take care now.

Flowerpot said...

Sandra - yes I guess the only constant is change isn't it? Good luck on the wip - nearly there!

Ellee Seymour said...

I wonder why your friend chose polygamy. Is she an expert on this?
And yes, what stunning pics again.

Flowerpot said...

Ellee - no in fact! I think the wine and sex diet is too much for her!