Wednesday 3 October 2012

Unexpected walks and boating

The above picture was taken a few weeks ago at Coverack – when it was summer, for a brief and unexpected day.

Last weekend was full of unexpected walks - on Saturday a group of us from singing went (with our dogs) to Constantine where Natalia had organised a walk where we all listened to tapes of people from Constantine talking about their backgrounds – the mining, the history of the area – and why Constantine was important to them – while we walked. This was part of her PhD in Music and Movement, and we collected outside the Tolmen Centre in Constantine which is a fabulous venue for films, events and a brilliant café – definitely worth another visit.

It was a sunny, autumn day where the leaves were turning and crunched beneath our feet and the sky was a lazy Wedgewood blue streaked with mare’s tails. We gathered in an old quarry in the woods for a picnic half way round and sat in the sunshine while John fed Moll crisps when he thought I wasn’t looking. It was lovely to do a walk listening to the tales of people from the area, then share a picnic with friends old and new.

The following day I met my friends from Coventry – Jane and John – and as it was low tide, we set off along the foreshore from Penryn to Flushing, investigating all the boats as we walked. While Jane’s sister rang for a long phone call, John and I noticed a flock of what turned out to be curlews, crying and gathered on a spit of land - we’d never seen so many birds together like that before, and they were still there on our way back, several hours later.

It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon with good friends, talking about boats. And I have to say, as my boating mate is away, I do so miss it – and it’s only six days since I was last on a boat. Mind you, as anyone who’s been around boats knows, it’s important to have the right company and the right vessel. Get either wrong and the experience can go from joyous to miserable very quickly. But on Sunday it was a lovely morning and I looked out to sea where the sun sparkled on the water and thought – I want to be out there.

I miss that lovely feeling of space and freedom, of feeling the water cradle and rock the boat. I miss the peace and contentment that being on the water gives me – where all the everyday troubles somehow float away with the tide. I miss feeling the wind in my hair, of standing at the helm watching for other boats (“steely eyed Kittow”), for buoys or cormorants. Of seeing Moll, with her ears streaming back in the breeze – even she has a little boaty grin, for she has become a true water babe.

But there are good days in autumn and sunny days in winter, so it’s not all doom and gloom. In the meantime I will look for some winter boating gear and have some land based adventures.

Talking of which, I attended a Sitting Down Exercise Class last week in order to write it up for Cornwall Today. Since then, my back has been agony….More next week, from Crippled of Cornwall


12 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

You've summed up my thoughts about boats too (especially that feeling of how quickly events can turn!)and being 'between boats' as Tom puts it, I too have been wanting to be out on the water again for all the trials and tribulations!

Flowerpot said...

Chris - I didn't realise you were in between boats. Hope you are waterbound very soon!

elegancemaison said...

Your 'thoughts on boats' made me review my own mixed feelings.

I have to be 'doing something' on a boat otherwise I get seasick. But I do love looking at them in harbour or out on the water. Well I just love being near the water - preferably the sea.

Apart from a short lesson on a 1930s gentleman's sailing yacht, my best experience was being allowed to have a go at steering a yacht in Sydney Harbour just short of the 'heads' out into the Pacific, with my daughter and son-in-law in charge of the sails.

But I do love just watching small rowing or sailing boats and fishing boats at work. Not so
keen on 'gin palaces' ( unless I'm invited onboard to drink gin of course!)

Your photo of an 'unexpected' late summer day in Coverack is achingly beautiful.

Unknown said...

Love the idea of listening to people talk about the area as you walk around...brilliant!
lx

Flowerpot said...

Liz - it was a lovely idea, though the second part was difficult to listen to as it was very long and meant we all got lost!

Flowerpot said...

Elegance - I was seasick for the first time in my life going to Scilly earlier this year, but since then I seem to have lost my fear of the sea and (touch wood) haven't been seasick since. Your Sydney Harbour experience sounds amazing. I'm allowed to steer this boat and I just love it! Even if I'm accused of being a control freak......! That day in Coverack was just beautiful, and all the more so because it's one of the last good days of the summer.

Akelamalu said...

I love being on water. Wherever we go on holiday we always try to do at least one boat trip. You sum up the feeling of boating so well.

Sorry to hear your back's bad. x

Flowerpot said...

Ak - back's much better thanks. But today is a fabulous day - wish I was out there! x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I love boats, not that I go on many.

Your walks always sound so amazing and make me want to get out and go for one too.

I hope your back is much better soon.x

Flowerpot said...

Debs - I'm glad my walks have that effect -and my back is much better thanks. For the first time in a week I can sit down without being in agony!

Melissa Amateis said...

I am not a boat person as I cannot swim, but I think it could be lovely to take a ride on a boat on a calm lake. I'm just too scared that if something happened and the boat tipped over, I'd be in trouble! :)

Flowerpot said...

I know just how you feel, Melissa. I was scared for years. Lifejacket would help and just go out on a calm day in a boat you feel safe in with someone you trust. Then the fear would gradually go.