Wednesday 27 March 2013

A night away


Last weekend I was fortunate enough to review Trenython Manor, near Fowey, while doing a walk at Tywardreath, both for Cornwall Today. The choice of hotel brought a wry smile as I’d actually worked there about 25 years ago in the bar. I got the sack. Mr B looked at me shrewdly. “How long did you work there? One session?” Actually it was several. I was very good at serving drinks, but being innumerate, charged the wrong prices. I was therefore very popular with the customers and not at all with the management. Hence, I was out.

Luckily, it was long enough ago that no one knew my employment history, and I was longing to go back and have a look. The hotel’s now very splendid, with incredibly friendly and courteous young staff, and our stay included a night in one of their lodges, in the hotel grounds. I was also offered a spa session, so had an hour long full body massage which was wonderful, before heading back to join Mr B and Moll watching TV. We had a glass of wine and changed for dinner, then headed back to the hotel.

Dinner was lovely and incredibly reasonably priced – cheaper than the pubs in Falmouth – and beautifully presented and served, and the buffet the next morning was the best breakfast I’ve ever had. We said thank you and goodbye, wishing we could stay another night, but work beckoned.

We headed off to Tywardreath to do the House on the Strand walk later, which was a lovely way to explore the nearby countryside as figured in Daphne du Maurier’s novel of the same name – if you haven’t read it, do try it.

When we finally got home, we felt we’d been away for about a week rather than just one night. If ever you feel like a trip to Fowey, I would heartily recommend it. As Mr B said, “It was better than best.”

And now I have to write them both up - in double quick time....

8 comments:

Sally said...

That sounds lovely - perhaps the place to stay when we (if we ) go the the Fowey D M festival this year.

Flowerpot said...

Sally - I would really recommend it - bu book early!

Rena George said...

That hotel sounds great. I might try booking a couple of nights there the next time we are in Cornwall.Thanks for the tip-off.
The House on the Strand Walk ... sheer bliss, Sue. I can't wait to read it. This was always my favourite Du Maurier novel.
Your new book is sounding better all the time. xx

Flowerpot said...

Rena - if you do go, please mention my name! Thanks so much for comments on my book - very gratifying!

Deborah Carr said...

I've never visited Fowey, but it sounds wonderful. I'm glad you had such a lovely time.

Flowerpot said...

Debs - it#s well worth a visit!

Akelamalu said...

Sounds lovely and how lucky are you getting the spa treatment? :)

Flowerpot said...

I know Ak, I was so lucky!