Thursday 18 February 2021

Accident

Life has been partly on hold over the last few weeks because I had an accident that resulted in a wound just above my left eye.

To cut a long story short, I looked like I'd been in a fight with a real shiner of a black eye (it didn't actually hurt but it looked impressive) then, because I wasn't given antibiotics when it happened, it got infected. So I had to go to Treliske to get it properly cleaned out then stitched up. That didn't hurt either, and the whole thing took 20 minutes and no waiting!

I've never - touch wood - had many accidents. The odd bump and scrape like us all, but I took it in my stride. Then the second week it started to really get me down. Not helped by the fact that last weekend it deluged, non-stop. And that we're in lockdown (though as I don't really want to see anyone looking like this, that's probably a bonus). My eye looked like it was getting better, so I thought oh good, I can wear my contact lenses again. So I put them in but they didnt feel right. And a few hours later I took them out. My wound started swelling up again and a bruise formed and I thought oh NO.....

Isn't it typical that just one thing going wrong can knock your confidence, send it tumbling like a card house? I started doubting my ability to write, to train Lainy, to do anything. I was really worried about driving up to Devon to help sort out my Mum's house prior to her moving. About how Lainy would react to a strange environment with lots of strange people. In short, I started worrying about everything. Which again, isn't like me.

By Monday morning I was crawling along the bottom. But it had stopped raining. Hooray! I rang the hospital and they said come up, we'll look at your eye and it was just bruised, no infection. PHEW. Then I had a lovely long email from my Pen Friend on the Lizard. Yes, in these strange times I have a lovely Pen Friend who also has a rescue dog and loves walking so, as we can't meet, we exchange plentiful emails. They are keeping me going, too.

I was too short on sleep on Monday to write anything, but I realised that and gave myself the rest of the day off. I made notes but didn't actually try writing, and rested and read. So by Tuesday I was able to write again. My eye is healing - just more slowly than I would like. And today, although the forecast for Friday and Saturday is horrible, today the sun is shining.

We really do have to be grateful for the little things in life at the moment. Even going to Treliske was An Outing...... So to all of you out there having horrible days, I do so feel for you. We are all going through it at the moment. But we just have to remember, spring is coming. The days are getting longer. We won't be in lockdown forever. Keep going.....

8 comments:

The Love Of Nostalgia said...

I'm so sorry you've been having a bad time. I hope your eye gets better soon. Everything seems so much harder at the moment doesn't it but as you say spring is nearly here and it won't all last forever.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I hope you can manage without contact lenses for a while, our eyes are so precious.

ADDY said...

I'm sorry you have been through the wars and do hope everything is healing nicely again. This pandemic seems to raise stress levels in us all. The fact that things are not normal is one reason. Add to that when something goes wrong - such as with your health or home and that increases the stress even more. Everyone I talk to seems to be going through some degree of stress. Just accept that as the new normal for now and hopefully things will be better soon. I have heard that singing is good for stress and panic breathing. Are you still able to do your choir by zoom? I have found one that does that and it helps no end.

Lulu said...

Sorry to hear about your injury and knock of confidence Sue. Glad they sorted your eye out at Treliske though. The NHS staff are wonderful there, I cannot praise them enough. They looked after my dad when he had cancer and brought our littlest child into this world. I'm a firm believer that sometimes it is good to have a day off and spring is certainly in the air! Lulu x

Flowerpot said...

Nostalgia - yes, spring makes everything better, doesn't it? Hope you are coping OK.

Flowerpot said...

Betty - I do have glasses but they pinch round my ears so contact lenses are so much easier. Not too much longer now I hope...

Flowerpot said...

Addy - I haven't been doing my choir by Zoom as I didn't find it worked well, but I do sing in the van and yes that helps a lot! I must do more at home. Thanks for the tip.

Flowerpot said...

Lulu - I agreeabuot the NHS. fabulous lot and so grateful for them all. X