Thursday 11 March 2021

Childhood books



My dear mum has to move into a care home in two weeks, we found out last Friday. This is all due to the sale of her house which is to exchange today and complete in two weeks. Of course once mum is moved we have to get the house cleared, with auction stuff going in one direction and other stuff in another, and cleaned and all the other things that have to be done - with very little time. So I'm very fortunate in having two brothers so we can spread the load of tasks.

This is obviously a really difficult time for us all but mostly my poor mum. But I will see her tomorrow, and when I asked if she wanted me to bring anything, she said, "books, please".

My mum instilled her love of reading in me from the age of 4 when, out on walks, I would stand in front of signposts and refuse to move until I'd pronounced each syllable to spell the word out. (Try figuring Kingsteignton...) From there I discovered the library and devoured books at a voracious speed. What joys to discover a whole new world out there to match my overactive imagination!

And so our joint love of books has continued throughout our lives. Whatever differences we may have had, we could always discuss books. And now I will take her a bag of second hand books to accompany her to her next home. Well, knowing her she will have read them before she gets there, so I may secrete another bag to keep her going.

When I was little I read many of the books my mum had had as a child: Susannah of the Mounties. Susanna of the Yukon. O'ny Tony's Circus. The Ponies of Bunts (you can detect the four feet theme here), Tom's Midnight Garden. The Jennings books. A Traveller in Time. Stig of the Dump. The Little White Horse, and many, many others.

I re-read quite a few of these during the recent lockdowns. They're like comfort food - soothing and good for the soul. With a promise of happy ending (usually).

So, what are your favourite childhood reads?

4 comments:

The Love Of Nostalgia said...

I loved the Jennings books too! I also loved all The Jill and her pony books by Ruby Ferguson. I learned every bit of equipment I would need for when I finally got my pony which sadly never happened. I hope everything goes OK for your Mum. Difficult times. Jane x

Lulu said...

Hello Sue, I recently re-read Stig of the Dump, this time to my girls. We all loved it. I was a bit worried when it got to the fox hunting part, thinking it may be a bit dated now, but it did not disappoint (Stig, for all his caveman-ness, is a surprisingly modern, sustainable man!). My mam re-read all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder 'Little House....' series during lockdown. I remember her reading that to me at bedtime. Next on the list for us: Great Expectations. My girls love a spooky story and are fascinated with Miss Havisham's character. Lulu x

Flowerpot said...

Jane - I read some of those pony books too - and I never got a pony either! x

Flowerpot said...

Lulu - Stig of the Dump was wonderful so glad you enjoyed it with your girls. I just read it again. I enjoyed the Little House series too and Great Expectations was one of my favourite Dickens stories. So glad these books live on X