Thursday 18 March 2021

Tales of the Unexpected Cornish style

I remember reading Tales of the Unexpected (Roald Dahl) many years ago, but also the TV series which is on one of the many channels and has a very distinctive theme song. The Tooth Fairy made the mistake of humming it on a walk recently, and we both had it as earworm for days afterwards.

But life is so full of the unexpected, isn't it? And it often comes all at once. It's been very stressful trying to sort mum out and reassure her, and look after Lainy (you can see she was riveted looking out of my bedroom window up there) and then a friend behaved in a very strange way that was very upsetting.

Just to top things off, one of my best friend's dogs died yesterday which was very sudden and brought back all the memories of losing Moll six months ago. We were due to go on holiday in May - well, we still will, but without our lovely Daisy, so my heart goes out to my lovely friend. It's such a hard time when you lose your best four legged friend. So my thoughts and love to her.

Anyway, our trip to my Mum was well worth doing, and as always, involved books galore, though I'm now panicking that I didn't vet the books I gave her carefully enough. In times of stress (and boy is this a hard time for us all, but her most of all), she likes Large Print and a Happy Ending. Who can blame her? But I have a nasty feeling a few of the ones I selected don't fit into those categories. Well, none of them do, so I'm busy selecting some more from my huge Mum pile in the hallway and will send those by post for when she moves into the care home next week.

Much has been written about the move into care homes, but it hadn't really hit me until I spent time with Mum. She's very good at hiding her feelings, and it wasn't until the carer told me how upset she was that I had to dig a bit deeper. We all hope that this next step will provide her with more friends, more things to do, and an active time for the next chapter of her life. But even so, it's daunting.

Because we have to clear the house by the end of next week, she was very adamant that I should take whatever I want - both my brothers have, and we have a spreadsheet of who wants what so it's fair. But living in in a one bedroom flat, I have no room for furniture, I've got lots of paintings, and so I've ended up asking for the microwave (I know, great inheritance) but Mum said it's too old and she'll give me the money for a new one. AFter that, I have some lovely Mary Rich pottery, and - yes, books....

I came back with The Wind in the Willows, The Good Master, Mary Poppins in the Park, The Ponies of Bunts and Susanna at Boarding School. She also gave me the pick of a bag of books that she's finished reading, so I can wade my way through them. But it got me thinking about comfort reading.

I love Frenchman's Creek, though it's more escapism than comfort as I always cry my eyes out at the end. I also love Fay Weldon's Rhode Island Blues which I haven't read for ages. The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton is a more recent book that I really enjoyed, and too many others to single out. What about yours?

4 comments:

ADDY said...

I have a love/hate relationship with books. I got thoroughly turned off them after university when we were made to read hundreds of German novels and dissect every sentence and nuance. After that I couldn't pick up a book for decades. Probably only in the last ten years have I returned to reading them, but I am painfully slow as I only read at bedtime and can't manage a chapter before I fall asleep. I still find it quite a chore.

Lulu said...

Hello Sue, I hope it has all been going ok with your mum's move this week. It must be stressful for her, you and your brothers; trawling through years of acquired possessions is at the best of times. It is great you can share your love of books with each other. My comfort books tend to be gardening ones - especially as I'm more of a winter reader. That way I can dream of the smell of freshly cut grass and walking amongst flowers as I'm drifting off to sleep. Take care, Lulu xXx

Flowerpot said...

Addy - such a shame that university put you off reading. I never went, so I didn't have that problem. Nothing wrong with reading slowly - I read too fast so I'm sure I miss a lot in my hurry to finish them!

Flowerpot said...

Lulu - it has been and still is very stressful but yes, it's lovely to share our love of books. I would imagine gardening books are fantastic comfort reads and I love the idea of dreaming off freshly cut grass in winter. xx