Thursday 3 March 2022

Surprises and Finishing Editing

For the first time in about a month we had a weekend of good weather which always lifts my spirits - and that of the poor fella, who is trying to build a garage and the recent storms and general winter low pressure have put the kybosh on that. So we had two lovely walks, and oh, the joy of walking with sun on our faces - or backs, on the way home.

I also had some really lovely birthday surprises. First of all, a birthday cake complete with candles. That was the first time I've had a cake in many years so I was really delighted.

Then, the next day a friend who lives in the top flat came down with a huge bunch of yellow roses, which happen to be my favourite. I was so delighted, I can't tell you.

I have had other surprises that have been less than pleasant, but there's enough of that in the news, so I won't dwell on those. The other good news is that I've very nearly finished what I hope is my last draft of the Moll book. Which means soon I can start sending it out. And, as most authors know, that is very scary and exciting at the same time.

The other thing I went to the Falmouth Bookseller to listen to Charlie Carroll talking about his novel The Lip - a real live author talk, with real people, in a real live bookshop - with wine! It was such a novelty... and one of the questions that came up was, when do you know when to stop editing? When indeed? Charlie said if it was down to him, he'd still be editing, and I feel rather the same. It's really difficult to tear ourselves away from our characters, but sooner or later it has to be done.

I have to check the last three scenes to make sure I'm happy with them, and then I will start sending it out into the wide world.... with lots of crossed fingers and toes.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

A belated happy birthday to you Sue! What a lovely looking cake. How civilised to go to a book talk, with real people and wine! I am keeping some fingers and toes crossed for you xXx