Wednesday 18 August 2021

Mini break and Editor



A close friend suggested that we should have a campervan picnic - two of them - which then led to the Where Shall We Go, given that Cornwall is overrun with visitors, and the vans are both quite big. Then my friends were probably leaving earlier so I'd have to go in my van and meet them there. Then we decided to stay the night, which further compounded the problem of where to go.

Eventually we found a very small campsite which had pitches for us both, by some miracle, and so we arrived there independently on Monday. The problem I was worried about was not whether myself and M would get on - we know that we do - but the dogs. Lainy had a squabble with M's dog the week before and I was very concerned that this shouldn't escalate, particularly given that we were going to be living in close quarters.

So I did a lot of preparation, talking to Lainy's foster mums - we have a Whatsapp group as we all have rescue dogs, and can compare notes on any problems we encounter with our respective canine charges. In fact, I'm glad to report there were no squabbles, though poor M's dog had evidently had enough by yesterday afternoon, and went and sat in the car park in protest. I felt terrible - after all, we were the guests - even if Lainy had been on her best behaviour - but hopefully we can focus on the positives, of which there were many. Even if Twig might not have thought so.

It was really lovely to have just 24 hours away - we explored new walks, had a fabulous barbecue with our dear friends, enjoyed a few glasses of wine and all in all, I felt as if I'd been away for several days rather than just one. And we're going to plan the next break very soon.

The other cheery thing was that I got in touch with a freelance editor, who was highly recommended, to give me some advice on Sixth Scent, my most recent novel, and she came emailed back to say she thought it was great. Unique and quirky. So we're going to start work on that at the beginning of October. So that's another positive.

I'm also going to Devon and seeing my mum at the end of September. I know it's not possible to get away, or at least go very far, but as we found yesterday, even going six miles away makes a difference, and it's very important to have things to look forward to, isn't it?

4 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

Sometimes the last minute unplanned breaks are the best and can reveal some great bargains too.

Flowerpot said...

Betty - you're quite right. We're just planning our next one now!

Lulu said...

Hello Sue, well done on finding campsite space in Cornwall at the moment. In a normal year, we usually escape the summer crowds by going to a tucked away caravan site in rural Devon. I am missing the quiet! How funny that your friend's dog went to sit in the carpark. I suppose you can never predict how dogs will / won't get on. Great news on finding an editor for your book. Happy writing, Lulu x

Flowerpot said...

Hi Lulu - it was my Belgian friend who found the campsite space. Escaping to rural Devon sounds a brilliant idea - I miss the quiet too! Hope all well with you, Xx