Friday 7 November 2008

Bad Mouth News conquered by Belief

Nearly two years ago now I had a really bad time with my mouth – endless chronic toothache, abscesses etc which led to a course of very expensive periodontal treatment to treat my gum disease.

Having parted with a Huge amount of money, I was set on the road to recovery – or stability, as once the damage has been done, you can't entirely reverse it. And I continued to brush my teeth, floss them and poke at bits with interdental sticks, three times a day. I went back for a 3 month check up in July and all was well. I was looking after my gums as I should, and I got a pat on the back. I also got a VAST bill for a 20 minute checkup.

I asked my NHS dentist (who suggested I should continue to see this private hygienist – doesn't say much for his hygienist) if he could recommend someone else as the private bunch are extortionately expensive. It's not just me that says that either. My dentist recommended another fellow and I'm waiting for an appointment to see him next week.

Last weekend I began to have twinges in my mouth. Bad ones. On Monday I realised my gums in front were inflamed and very sore. I went back to see Very Expensive hygienist yesterday who confirmed that my gums were in a Bad Way. She said that I'd “slipped” with brushing them. “I haven't,” I said, with my mouth wide open, stung with injustice. “But I was concentrating on the teeth at the back that are the problem ones, and forgot the front ones.”

She looked at me then and said, “have you had a lot of stress recently?”

I thought back – it's been quite a year, emotionally. “Yes,” I said. “Menopause, insomnia, financial worries.”

When I got to insomnia she nodded. “That'll be it,” she said. “Your gums are your weak spot and if you're under a lot of stress, unless you're really careful, they'll suffer.”

So I trundled back home feeling miserable, as if I'd failed, and with a mouth that felt as if it had been attacked with a cheese grater. I managed to rationalise it all but then I woke in the night feeling terrible. After all that brushing and STILL I got it wrong.

I went back to sleep eventually but I told Himself this morning how I felt. “Of course you're upset,” he said. “Anyone would be. But you do brush your teeth properly and I'll bloody well tell them so, silly *****ers.”

I began to feel better. But he hadn't finished.

“You'll get your gums get better really quickly, like you did last time,” he said. “Just remember, Pop, you can do anything you want.”

What a star.

20 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Bless Himself. Teeth are the bane of my life. Get one fixed and another starts misbehaving.

And the price? Don't get me started.

hope your gums settle down.

ADDY said...

So sorry to hear you are poorly. Tooth/gum pain is something you cannot ignore. The cheese grater image says it all. Glad you are getting some support at home and hope you get some relief soon. Our dentist apologetically went private about 2 years ago. I find it a scandal that all the NHS ones are disappearing. We shall soon become a nation of toothless grins.

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I broke a tooth about three years ago, it got infected and I went to the dentist ad he pulled it but only after about an hour of pulling and breaking it. It was infected and he should have ust given me antbiotics first sent me away and sorted it later in the week. he made it worse and I ended up with what is called a dry socket, fully infected hole and then the infection spread to my facial bones as well as the gums. I was delirious with an immense high temperature for about four days and in agony for a week at least. I finally managed to get an emergency appointment at the doc's who prescribed me two sets of antibiotics for gum and bone infection just in time before it became sceptoscemia. I fully understand what you must go through and have my sympathy. teeth - great things when they work but a nightmare when they don't.

Flowerpot said...

oh lane I'm sorry you have trouble as well. I sometimes think the old idea of having them all out for your 21st birthday was agood idea!

Flowerpot said...

rosiero - I quite agree. Like the image of a nation of toothless grins though!

MOB - having heard your woes I will not complain - ever - about my teeth again. You poor THING. I'm horrified.

Lindsay said...

Sorry to hear of your gum trouble - very uncomfortable. Insomnia - horrible - have had it for years and years. Husband sleeps in separate bedroom as I toss and turn, light on, off, on off. Radio on, off, on off. I often listen to a CD called "Tune Your Brain to Mozart" - nice and relaxing.

Flowerpot said...

Lindsay - how awful tohave had insomnia for that long. You poor thing. You've never got to grips with what caused it initially?

Chris Stovell said...

Ooh, I feel for you - my teeth have cost me loadsa money. What's reeally annoying is that I have to go private here as dentists are few and far between. I'm now on a dental insurance plan which is so pricey it means I shall have to give up eating... oh well, that should solve the problem!

Chris Stovell said...

Oo-er... how come I'm supposed to be reading this in Chepstow when I'm deepest west Wales?!

Flowerpot said...

chrish - I was considering a dental plan but perhaps not after what you said. As for Chepstow - I'm lost. Where are you?!!

Pat Posner said...

Himself sounds lovely!

Sending 'Get Better Gums' hugs.

xPat

Flowerpot said...

Pat - yes, he has his moments! And many thanks - gums are feeling a bit better already.

Akelamalu said...

I had similar problems some years ago and strangely enough I had a lot of stress at the time. You need to relax m'dear. What a gem Himself is - he has every faith in you. x

Grump said...

Do you use an electric tooth bush? If not do so it really makes a difference. Brush for a least 4 minutes twice a day with floride toothpaste. Floss as often as you can.
Don't use Listerine very bad could be cancerous.
Woof x to Mollie
Mark x

Flowerpot said...

Ak - I am concentrating on de-stressing as we speak!

Flowerpot said...

grump - I have had an electric toothbrush for a while and yes it really makes a difference. And I brush for 3 minutes 3 times a day plus flossing and using interdental brushes. It takes me ages!! Ddint know that about Listerine but I can't stand the taste. Woof to Tillyxx

Ellee Seymour said...

I think dental hygienists for adults are a complete waste of time. I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. Wouldn't it be worth your while to sign up with Denplan? I do, even though I know I don't get my money's worth. But if there was a huge problem, I would be covered.

I hope you feel better soon.

Flowerpot said...

ellee -thanks I might look into that.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a nightmare, you have my sympathies. I do hope your gums feel much better soon.

It's strange how our bodies deal with stress.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Debs - and yes it is very strange how we deal with stress, but I suppose it's got to come out somewhere!