Sunday 30 November 2008

More Gums and Tigers

I was summonsed to see my new dentist about this infection and the bad news is that I have to be on antibiotics for TWO MONTHS (albeit a very low dose) while I have more treatment to stop any more infections recurring. The good news is that I didn't have to pay him for his time (20mins) and he and the hygienist were very caring and kind and pleasant. (The other private lot were arrogant and couldn't care as long as they received large amounts of my money.)
So I'm sitting here with a glass of water, shortly to go on to grape juice – not quite the same as watching Little Dorritt with a glass of wine but there you go.

And on a more pleasant note - in a zoo in California , a mother tiger gave birth to a rare set of triplet tiger cubs. Unfortunately, due to complications in the pregnancy, the cubs were born prematurely and due to their tiny size, they died shortly after birth.

After recovering from the delivery, the mother tiger suddenly started to decline, although physically she was fine. The vets felt that the loss of her litter had caused the tigress to fall into a depression. They decided that if the tigress could surrogate another mother's cubs, perhaps she would improve.

After checking with many other zoos across the country, the bad news was that there were no tiger cubs of the right age to introduce to the mourning mother. The vets therefore decided to try something that had never been tried in a zoo environment. Sometimes a mother of one species will take on the care of a different species. The only orphans that could be found quickly were a litter of weanling pigs. The zoo keepers and vets wrapped the piglets in tiger skin and placed the babies around the mother tiger. What happened next....

20 comments:

ADDY said...

Just loved that photo. How cute! Sorry to hear you are still in such pain but hope the antibiotics zap the infection. Two months is a long time to be taking them, especially with Christmas in the middle of it all too. Will you be able to enjoy a quick tipple on the 25th?

DAB said...

Soo cute.

What a pain about your teeth, hope you recovery swiftly TFX

Elaine Denning said...

Oh God...that's amazing.

Akelamalu said...

That's an amazing story about the tiger and a great picture.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your teeth - it's the pits isn't it? :(

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Oh how clever of the zoo keepers. What a lovely story unlike the one about your teeth - ouch

Lane Mathias said...

That is so lovely!

Hope your teeth are 'better' soon. Two months of anti-bs is a long time:-(

Flowerpot said...

Rosiero - I know it seems a long time. Not sure about the tipple - I'll ask nearer the time!

Tom F - I do love happy ending stories particularly if its with animals!

Ealine - Isn't it?

Flowerpot said...

Ak - I'm getting fed up with it but as long as the gums sort soon taht's the main thing.

Lane - yes - two months! Never mind I'll be ever so healthy at the end of it!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Ohh bless that's so sweet. How wonderful to see the tiger sleeping and looking so content after such a horrible loss.

Flowerpot said...

Debs - I know, it warms the cockles doesn't it?!

Irene said...

I am very happy for the mother tiger. Less happy for you and your teeth. Hope the antibiotics work and that you will be pain free soon.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Finely Tuned - I hope they start working soon as well!

Chris Stovell said...

What a HORRIBLE time you're having with your teeth - I really feel for you. I hope by now the antibiotics are kicking in and you are starting to feel the benefit. (The thought of having to face Christmas without a glass in my hand makes me feel quite weak - poor you!).

Flowerpot said...

Actually Chris I thought the same as you but I'm not bothered about not drinking - at the moment! Mind you, knowing that I can have a glass if I want makes all the difference!

MarmiteToasty said...

oh my, that photo is just gorgeous....

Sorry ya having teeth problems.... :(

x

Philipa said...

Aw such a moving picture. Sorry you've been having trouble with your teeth, fp. Our dentist told us to go forth because I missed an appointment whilst i was in hospital. I'm glad yours is taking care of you. Sorry about not having a glass of wine though :-(

Flowerpot said...

Marmie - isnt it lovely?

Flowerpot said...

Phil - how awful your dentist treating you like that. Cant you complain - after all it wasnt your fault you were in hospital. As for the wine well it turns out i can have some in moderation, so when I feel like it, I will! Dont even feel like it at the moment though.

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. It would look amazing in my new dining room ...

Flowerpot said...

Er - I hope you're not referring to the tiger skin Crystal?!