Thursday 13 November 2008

Generosity isn't dead

The good news is that the Western Morning News are to feature this blog in a Westountry blog spot in a few weeks. More details when I have them!

The bad news is more teeth problems causing yet more money to be extracted (though thankfully no more teeth extracted as yet – that could well come later, in which case I will be known as Gappy). But enough of boring things like dentists and gum disease. Perhaps if I tell them I'm a freelance journalist writing a piece on periodontal disease, I might get discounted treatment? Dream on, Flowerpot.

On a completely different topic, I am, as some of you know, reduced to tears very easily. Why, I know not – put it down to hormones, if you like. I don't always cry because I'm unhappy, either. I could be enjoying a particularly wonderful piece of music, or a marvellous sunset and the tears will drip down my cheeks, or cascade down my nose, depending on the extremity of emotions incurred. As Himself says, “you're the only person I know who cries at the weather forecast,” which is a slight exaggeration.

On the other hand, in case anyone thinks I'm a pushover, I can be very fierce when needs be. Hurt my husband, any of my friends or family and there will be Big Trouble. Right? In the course of my job, I endure so many rejections that if I didn't develop a tough shell I wouldn't survive.

I suppose Mollie takes after me - shaggy haired, untidy and tough on the outside, but soft and cuddly on the inside.

I was having lunch with a friend I hadn't seen for ages the other day in a tiny cafe in Falmouth. At that time we were the only occupants, then three teenage girls came in, whispering and muttering over the menu.

From what we could gather, they only had enough money for a jacket potato between them, so they sat down and ordered that.

“I'm sorry,” said the owner of the cafe, “but it is lunchtime – you have to order at least a drink.”

More muttering from the girls, turning out of purses. Leaning forward, conferring in agonised whispers - rather like University Challenge, but they were a few years off that, and the stakes were higher. This was Food.

At this point we got up, fetched our coats and as we passed the girls, my friend handed them a fiver. “Here,” she said. “Early Christmas present. Buy yourselves some drinks.”

Their stunned, delighted faces made my day, and I gulped, overwhelmed and proud of such a generous gesture. That's when I burst into tears.

22 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Nodding my head at lots of this, Flowerpot, teeth, tears and standing up for nearest and dearest (my girls say I'm like a mummy warthog defending them). Hope the teeth stop causing trouble. Lovely post, lovely friend and good news about the blog.

ADDY said...

What a lovely gesture from your friend. I bet those girls will not forget it and, who knows, in the future they may pass that gesture on.

Unknown said...

HUgs on the teeth front and the story brought a gilp to me too....

Lane Mathias said...

What a lovely act of kindness.

All the best with teeth problems. They really are a pain aren't they:-(

Flowerpot said...

chrish - i love the idea of you as a mummy warthog!!

rosiero - it'd be lovely if they did.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Liz!

Lane - well I know you suffer with your teeth as well. Wretched things.

Ellee Seymour said...

Great news about your blog Flowerpot. Can you tell me if an old colleague called Janet King works on that publication?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gesture, that had me emotional too.

And believe you me, we DO cry at the weather forecast !!

CJ xx

Akelamalu said...

You know Flowerpot as you get older you get more emotional! MWM and I are frequently in tears watching even Happy events on the news. :(

Jenny Beattie said...

What a lovely story Flowerpot.

I really hope the teeth get sorted and you aren't in too much pain.

And the blog news is brilliant.

Flowerpot said...

ellee - I don't know but I'll make enquiries for you.

Crystal - ah yes, you have reason to cry at the weather forecast!

Flowerpot said...

Ak - this doesnt bode well for my old age!

JJ - thanks for that. Thankfully I'm not in pain - just my bank account is wincing!

Pat Posner said...

Great news about the blog, Flowerpot.
Hugs on teeth and gum probs.

What a lovely friend, and a lovely aah ending to your post!

Flowerpot said...

Many thanks for all that Pat. Just off to get a glass of wine now. My mum has arrived for the weekend and it's been a Long Week (her arrival has nothing to do with this!)

MarmiteToasty said...

How wonderful about your blob news..... where do we stand in line for your autograph? ;)

Your friends kindness was just so special....

x

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

I burst into tears reading this. What wonderful friends you have.

Flowerpot said...

marmie - she's a great friend isnt she?

Wakeup - not just me then!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a generous thing to do. Recently I was in the nearby shop and this young boy (about 10 yrs) was wanting to buy a small bar of chocolate, but we now have this Goods & Services Tax that adds 3% on to everything and he was a penny short. ONE Penny!, the woman still wouldnt let him have it, so I gave him the difference, bless. He was so thrilled.

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

Teeth. Why do UK dentists charge so much?

Someone famous - obviously so famous I've forgotten their name - said, 'If I knew I was going to live so long, I'd of looked after my teeth.'

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Lovely gesture - but, honestly, you big wuss! I hope your teeth get fixed quickly and (comparatively) cheaply.

Flowerpot said...

debs - good for you - another lovely gesture - that penny meant a lot to that little fella.

Fiona - I know there should be some protectoin racket against dentists!!

Zinnia - yes at tmes I am a complete wuss I'm afraid!

mannanan said...

Here's to your friend.A wonderful kind gesture. Nice to know that there are nice people in this world and it's not full with all the evil ones that the media would like us all to believe. Made my day. Thank you.