Thursday 27 November 2008

One of Those Weeks Awards





Many thanks from Cornish Dreamer for these awards which have made my week.
Rather than nominate anyone in particular, please take them – you all deserve them!

It's been One of Those Weeks. I've been more hormonal than usual which has left me feeling exhausted and ratty. This means that maintaining any enthusiasm in my novel has been oh so difficult. I can't concentrate, and wish I could fast forward to The End, having somehow done all those tricky bits that require thought processes.

Today was typical of this week. We're walking Annie, an Old English Sheepdog belonging to a neighbour who's on holiday. Himself put Moll into the front of our van, while I fetched Annie and put her in the back (a bit of separation is necessary as the dogs go mad). On the way to the beach, Annie started howling as she does every morning – well, it's a cross between a howl and a sing which I'm sure is tuneful in dog language but painful to human ears. Then of course Moll started singing to keep her company. By the time we got to the beach it was raining. Tipped out dogs and spent the next 5 minutes clearing up dog poo and placing in suitable bins.

Himself looked in amazement at the amount Annie created and said, “I've never SEEN a dog who could c**p so much. No wonder she makes such a noise in the car.”

After 15 minutes of walking, the heavens opened. I was wearing waterproof trousers but Himself wasn't so you can imagine how pleased he was. We headed towards the cafe with two wet dogs to shelter. It stopped a bit so we continued to walk and try and dry the dogs out. Got back home in time to unload dogs and Himself had to pick up a carpet cleaner for upstairs tenants.

Came back and I tried to print off rest of manuscript for someone to read. Paper jam. Fixed that. Brand new printer cartridge then ran out of ink after18 pages. I think you can guess my reaction. Finally fixed that –

And now I've got toothache, having spent a large amount of money at the hygienist on Monday. Had to go to my NHS dentist who said, “oh yes, your face is all swollen.” You can tell how often I look in the mirror.

On the plus side, he put in one of those periochip things (rather than antibiotics), and didn't charge me. He is also VERY good looking, so at least I could indulge in some outrageous fantasies while lying there being tortured.

So you can see why those awards are so cheering.

I think this calls for some drastic action. It could be a time to buy the DVD of Mamma Mia (reduced to £7 in a well known supermarket near me) and watch it, non-stop, all weekend. By Monday I'll be crazy, but I won't care.

20 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Awww, commiserations. That's far too many horrid things for one day. Buy it, watch it, sing along. I'm sure it would cheer you up.

Elaine Denning said...

Oooh, which supermarket is it?

I hope your weekend is SPECTACULAR. x

Lane Mathias said...

What an awful week:-( I hope the weekend is fabulous, with lots of lounging and indulgence to make up for it.

And whoa you got a bargain. 12.99 in my local supermarket:-)

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

At least if you go crazy watching the DVD you won't feel the pain anymore. Well done on the awards.

Irene said...

I took the Butterfly Award. Thank you very much.

Irene said...

Poor you, what a dreadful time you have had. I hope that's the last of it for a while, although i suppose you'll have to go back to the dentist. Good luck for the next few days.

Grump said...

You go for the film flowerpot you deserve a rest. I hope you feel less ratty by Monday. How's that van of yours did you ever give a name and take it for a run down the coast?
Mark x
Hi to Molls from Tilly

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Mad dogs and toothache what a week! Hmm not fair Ive jstu bought Mama Mia full price on Amazon UK bah!!

Flowerpot said...

Zinnia - thanks for that.

Elaine - it was - shhh - Asda and Tesco. NOT that I'm promoting either of course but times are desperate...

Lane - lounging isnt usually in my vocabulary but I will try!

Flowerpot said...

MOB - thats a very good point! Though I'm glad to say my jaw has stopped aching now. Thank god.

Boisterous B - glad to meet you and will go and check out your blog. In fact I had to go back to dentist this morning to get a prescription for antibiotics but a low dose one so that should help.

Flowerpot said...

Grump - thanks for that. Van is going well but we havent been far in it because the weather has been abysmal. Well, we went down to Hayle the other weekend with my mum but there wasnt time to go to Treen. It's definitely on our list though! And we've called it Conkie. There's a long story attached to that one!

UPL - Mad Dogs and toothache better than mad dogs and englishmen perhaps?!

Pat Posner said...

Hope you're all cheered up now, Flowerpot (teeth/gums, too).

So when do we get to hear the 'Conkie' story?

xxPat

Jenny Beattie said...

OMG you have had a trying time. I think you should go and blow £7 on the DVD. I have to be very careful with the CD which has a sort of narcotic effect on me ... see I'm at it already "Take a chance; take a chance; take a chance on me..."

Uh Oh.

Flowerpot said...

Thanks Pat - have got antibs now so hopefully they will kick in soon. Aah yes the Conkie story... that will come very soon - promise!

JJ - I'm just the same. I will be singing it all afternoon now!!

Akelamalu said...

Sorry to hear you've had toothache. My dentist is absolutely gorgeous so although I'm terrified I do go regularly! ;)

Go on, indulge yourself this weekend you deserve it. :)

Trubes said...

Hello Flowerpot:
Sorry to hear you tooth thingy is still playing you up and lets hope that is the end of it...nothing worse.
My husband DT had lots of trouble, similar to yours, but thankfully all is well now.

What fun taking the doggies out in the pouring rain...Men never learn about covering themselves in this intemperate climate.

DT would walk down to the local shops in his shirtsleeves, in a hurricane if I didn't nag him to put his jacket on.

The same man plays golf in all weather too, but then, dons all the designer waterproof golfwear he possibly can!

Obviously a man thing!

I do hope you will soon be feeling better.

Enjoy Abba.x

Di.xx

Flowerpot said...

Ak - thanks yes I feel like a bit of indulgence. Not had time so far but I'm intending so snuggle down and watch Strictly with a glass of wine!

Flowerpot said...

Trubes - thanks for that. I am feeling a bit lousy at the moment. Toothache and tired as I didnt sleep much last night. Not a good mixture! However, a quiet evening in front of the fire and sleep tonight will do teh trick.

Anonymous said...

I got the DVD last week but haven't had time to watch it yet!

Dogs are good are producing tons of poo aren't they, so long as it's outside.

CJ xx

Flowerpot said...

Crystal - lucky you! In fact i went to get it but they'd sold out. Sigh....! Apparently it's sold some incredible amount last week - broken all records.